Sexy Single or Totally Taken: Top 10 Valentine’s Day Ideas for Both!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

Whether you are the guy looking to sweep your woman off her feet with a dozen red roses or the girl sitting patiently by her window waiting for that sexy man to ride up on a lawnmower with 80’s music blasting from an old school boom box, this is the weekend that has the potential to bring dreams like that true!

Single!

For those of you who aren’t currently dating anyone or seeing any sort of lovin’ action, Valentine’s Day may not be the most anticipated part of your week. Well,  the HC NCSU Team doesn’t want to leave you out in the cold, collecting cats, crying over old photographs, or sitting in a dark room watching sad movies while stuffing your face with Howling Cow ice cream…so here are a few things you single ladies (and gents) out there can do on the despicable Singles-Awareness Day.

Eat, Drink, Bowl.
The Alley, on Hillsborough street, has that quaint retro feel and a bar and grill just waiting for you to indulge in its blast-from-the-past experience. Get a group of single friends together and make a competition out of it! Strike out all your inhibitions of Valentine’s Day, one pin at a time.

Go Shopping.
Everyone knows that shopping is a girls favorite past-time, especially when we are feeling down in the dumps. Spoiling yourself may just be the best Valentine’s gift ever! Who knows what you want more than you!? Take a trip to Crabtree, Cameron Village, or even the shops on Hillsborough and buy yourself something nice! Who says being single isn’t awesome…you get to pamper yourself!

Play Matchmaker.
Put on your hottest outfit, throw on that smile and fire up that twinkle in your eye because on this night out you have a mission: to find a valentine! Rendezvous over to the bar or club with your closest single friends and make a deal to find each other a valentine!  Chat up the sexy singles and flirt your way to a phone-number, a kiss, or simply the satisfaction of knowing that you spent your Valentine’s Day as this hottie’s center of attention.

Attend an Anti-Valentine’s Day Party.
If you hate Valentine’s Day and everything about it, the fattening chocolate, the over-priced flowers, the sickening cards and the ridiculous amount of red and pink surrounding you, then you should definitely consider attending an Anti-Valentine’s Day Party, or throw your own! Simply set up some games where singles can get to know each other. Make a c.d. of “love-stinks” songs and have it playing to ‘set the mood’. Buy some junk food to eat your emotions and make some cocktails for the age-appropriate ones to drown their sorrows. Critique a romance movie playing in the background and learn to love the rights to single-hood. If you don’t want to throw your own, Carroll Hall Council is going all out with an Anti-Valentine’s Day Party on Monday night from 7:30p.m. to 10:30p.m. where singles will be paired up with other singles to play games, win prizes, eat junk food, make the best “worst” valentine’s cards and enjoy being single! Check out the event on Facebook.

MAKE a Date.
What better way to beat the blues of Valentine’s Day than creating a date for yourself!? If you have a single guy (or girl) friend, ask them to go out to dinner with you at a fancy restaurant. Play it up by pulling a move from the movie “Date Night” by making fun of other couples, figuring out their “story”, or simply by being goofy and mocking the whole Valentine’s Day date thing. You don’t ever have to “stay in the lines” of society, so just go out and have some fun! Steal a salt-shaker, leave a tip of quarters in the shape of a heart, pretend to propose to your single friend in front of the crowded restaurant, something!? It’s all about YOU and having some fun! Plus, maybe your date will want to do it again?

Taken! 

If you are enjoying this couples’ holiday with your guy (or girl), here are a few ideas for the big date night!

Dinner and a Movie.

For those of you that like classic romance, dinner and a movie is always a great option. Most nice restaurants in downtown Raleigh have deals for a Valentine’s Day dinner, so get ready to go out! If you are low on cash, another option is to pick up some Chinese take out, pizza or whatever food you prefer and rent a love story like Letters to Juliet or The Notebook.

Visit The Rose Garden.
This may just be the most romantic place in Raleigh! The Rose Garden is a captivating love-spot where passion and romance burst from every flower, gazebo, fountain and walkway that adorn the grounds. There is also an outdoor amphitheater where you can display your love on-stage, or dance under the stars. The Rose Garden is a short walk from central campus, located right on Pogue Street. Take your lover on a dreamy evening walk and you’ll be sure to blow their mind with the grandeur of the garden!

Dance the Night Away.
If you are looking to switch it up a bit, why not sign up for dance lessons one weekend and go try out you’re new moves on Valentine’s Day. If that’s too stern, hit the clubs with your one and only and show the dance-floor how it’s done!

Make Beautiful Art Together.
Looking for something else to do? Go to a ceramic shop and paint something together. It will always be a cute reminder of the holiday for love. If you aren’t that artistically endowed, go to the NC Museum of Art, the science museum or the history museum. It’s proven that exploring and learning new things brings a couple closer together!

Share a Laugh.
If you are “not you’re typical couple” and are known instead as the fun crazy couple, you might enjoy a night of pure gut-busting laughter. Comedian Greg Morton will be having a show at Charlie Goodnight’s Comedy Club at 8:00p.m. on Valentine’s Day. Plus, it is proven that laughter helps spark the fire in the relationship.

Whatever you do, just have fun!!

Campus Correspondent and Founder of Her Campus NCSU - kristiedemers@hercampus.com Kristie Demers is a Senior English major at North Carolina State University. When she isn't studying or busy working on campus, Kristie enjoys running, writing, reading, photography, and painting. She volunteered as an athletic trainer for the Cheerleading team freshman year and developed an unwavering devotion for the Wolfpack. This Wisconsin natives passions include traveling, spending time with family and friends, and loving even the little things in life. Although she is down to earth and loves making people smile, Kristie is hard working and welcomes challenges. All that this happy-go-lucky girl dreams for the future is to write for a magazine and live at the beach. In the meantime, her heart lies in the bricks at N.C. State and beats with every chime of the Bell Tower!