Sex, Studies and Saturdays: Does Everything Really Happen for a Reason?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.
Everything happens for a reason. This seemly keeps popping into my mind at very odd hours of the day. I chip my freshly painted nails and I reassure myself everything happens for a reason. I leave my keys on my dresser and get locked out of the house. I rationalize everything happens for a reason, I get stuck at a red light and somehow everything happens for a reason. I’m not sure why or how I began to fixate on this concept, but it happened. And now I can’t but help to question: Does everything really happen for a reason?

An English professor once told me that the most important question to answer is why. Why? Why is this important? Why is it relevant? Why does this character get into a series of unfortunate events? Why? By answering the why we can relate the reader to the piece and create an understanding between the two. So I guess it’s not too hard to understand why I’m always searching for a why and how I’ve satisfied my wandering mind with the simplicity of everything happens for a reason.

But does it really? Or is it just because we are looking for it. Do our lives unfold as a series of reasons? Do we create this tangled web of reasons because of actions we’ve made? I mean logically speaking if you know you have one of three exams that make up 100% of your grade, you’re going to have a reason to study harder MEA140. But does passing that exam and earning an A in that class really happen for a reason, like a larger reason? Will it drastically change your life to the point that your children will be born with blonde hair instead of brown? Maybe it allows you to get into MEA215 and meet that blonde hunk you’ve always dreamed of. Or interest you so much that you in fact change your major to something as equally as stimulating as Biomedical Engineering where in turn you’d meet a different, much smarter hunky blonde.

Who knows maybe nothing happens for a reason. Maybe we are just walking around, wasting our lives for no reason at all. Mindlessly weaving through all paths of life. Allowing pressures and professors to weigh us down with un-needed stresses and countless worries. Living, working, breathing, blinking, laughing, crying, singing, dancing, running, fighting, loving: for no reason at all.

But that just sounds so depressing to me so I’d like a reason.
Campus Correspondent and Founder of Her Campus NCSU - kristiedemers@hercampus.com Kristie Demers is a Senior English major at North Carolina State University. When she isn't studying or busy working on campus, Kristie enjoys running, writing, reading, photography, and painting. She volunteered as an athletic trainer for the Cheerleading team freshman year and developed an unwavering devotion for the Wolfpack. This Wisconsin natives passions include traveling, spending time with family and friends, and loving even the little things in life. Although she is down to earth and loves making people smile, Kristie is hard working and welcomes challenges. All that this happy-go-lucky girl dreams for the future is to write for a magazine and live at the beach. In the meantime, her heart lies in the bricks at N.C. State and beats with every chime of the Bell Tower!