This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

Though she is small, she is mighty

Sara Pequeño came into the NC State English 417 class with guns blazing, ready to answer any question asked and not afraid to speak her truth.

Her journey from a small, independent news publication to a nationally recognized magazine was a change that felt foreign to her at first. When asked about her voyage from news writing for The Indy to opinion writing for The News and Observer, she didn’t shy away from the realistic nature of switching journalistic gears.

“Oh, it’s been weird,” said Pequeño. “It’s a lot of getting used to, you hypothetically have a lot of freedom but, there are also systems in place in understanding how HR works.”

Pequeño’s honest answer provoked smiles in the classroom, her candidness felt refreshing and didn’t portray the job as all sunshine and rainbows.

Her candidness isn’t something new though; you can find more of it in her sometimes-controversial opinion pieces for the N&O and her humorous yet frank Twitter posts.

Her honest writing proves that she is unapologetically herself, a trait that was evident in the classroom and has allowed her to amass over 7,000 Twitter followers and hundreds of dedicated readers.

But even as she gains popularity from her work for the N&O, and obtains a large following on Twitter, Pequeño is unequivocally humble, staying true to her roots.

“I write for my small town,” said Pequeño. “If I was writing to other people in the triangle, it wouldn’t matter.”

Hi! My name is Olivia Soosaar, I’m from Asheville, North Carolina and I’m a junior at NC State! I’m majoring in Communications Media and minoring in Journalism. I love all things music, movies and pop culture!