Ranking the Ten Most Recent Songs I Discovered on Spotify’s Blend Playlists

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

For me, finding new music to listen to is tedious and arduous. If you’re like me, you find it to be a process that you spend hours searching for songs with no promise of finding something you like. It’s either you find your newest hyper-fixation, or you hate all the songs you to so much that you revert to listening to the same five comfort songs you have to recover from the experience. There’s absolutely no in between.

In my latest search for new music, I turned to Spotify’s latest feature: blend playlists. To start a blend playlist, you simply send a link to a friend. Then, Spotify creates a playlist with music that you listen to and music that your friend listens to. Since I have a similar taste in music to my friends, the blend playlists created really helped to expand my song choices. Here’s some of the songs I found and how much I liked them (in no particular order).

face to face by rex orange county 10/10

Face to Face has a wonderful vibe. I really don’t have any other words to describe this song. It’s perfect when you just want to vibe to a lighthearted song.

Malibu by Miley Cyrus 8/10

I liked this song way more than I thought I would. I’ve never been a Miley Cyrus fan, but hearing this song? Man, I’m rethinking it. I feel like it would be a good song to sing in the car.

Velvet Elvis by Kasey Musgraves 6/10

Catchy and cute, what more could you ask for? I do have to admit, though, I am tired of it already despite only listening to it for a week or so.

It Won’t Always Be Like This by Inhaler 10/10

If you like U2, Inhaler won’t disappoint you. The lead singer sounds very similar to Bono. In fact, the lead singer is Bono’s son! Like father, like son, as they say.

Change My clothes By Alec Benjamin & Dream 7/10

I was thoroughly impressed and surprised by this song. I rank this higher than Velvet Elvis only because I haven’t become tired of it yet. I enjoy this song a lot because it’s relatable. I wanna change the world, but it’s hard and they understand that.

When I Grow Up by NF 10/10

NF is a rapper that doesn’t swear, a rare specimen in the music industry. NF writes all his emotions into his songs, and I like listening to that in his music. All of his songs are sad yet good. I definitely recommend him.

The Cigarette Duet by Princess Chelsea 8/10

If you’re looking for a song with strong Halloween vibes, this is your song. It has an intro that sounds like carnival music, and the lyrics are a couple arguing about smoking cigarettes. This song is out of what I normally listen to, but I like it a lot.

Water color Paper by Felix Wood 9/10

I went to middle school with this guy! I lied about this song being on my blend playlists, but that’s just how much I love this song. It doesn’t outrank Face to Face by Rex Orange County, but I still thoroughly enjoy listening it and highly recommend it!

hiccup by valley 8/10

Stylized as “hiccup”, I like the vibes of this song. It’s a chill bop to put on in the background. I would also say it’s good for doing some lazy dancing, like bobbing back and forth sort of dancing.

Stargazing by The Neighborhood 8/10

Solid song for driving. Except it’s a specific driving mood that is just out of reach of words. I would definitely say it’s for a nighttime drive over a daytime drive, though.

Hey, I'm Juliette! I'm a freshman at NCSU majoring in Computer Science. Despite being a STEM major obsessed with Genshin Impact, Minecraft, and Valorant, I love writing! I've been writing since I was old enough to comprehend what I was writing. Besides playing video games and writing, I enjoy spending time with friends and reading!