Punch-Drunk Love is More Than a Romantic-Comedy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

Paul Thomas Anderson’s Punch-Drunk Love (2002) indisputably falls into the romantic-comedy genre. At the surface level of this film, a bizarre man and an equally quirky woman fall in love, overcome challenges, and ultimately reunite as the credits roll. Despite the romantic cliches and swoon-worthy finale, Punch-Drunk Love deserves a category of its own. This film is bolder and darker than a classic romantic comedy. With the humor being awkward and satirical and the plot being raunchy itself, Punch-Drunk Love not only is an excellent film display of the complexities of romance but legitimizes the romantic comedy genre as a whole.

Adam Sandler takes over yet another romantic-comedy role as Barry Egan. In Punch-Drunk Love, Sandler does not play the fun-loving character he is famous for. Sandler has dominated the romantic comedy field since the 1990s; in 2020, Sandler signed a $275 million four-movie deal with Netflix, after the comedy Murder Mystery (2019) with Jennifer Aniston was a success. Sandler is almost universally beloved as a comic, but his more serious roles brought into question if he should consider staying in the realm he knows. In 2019, Sandler starred in Uncut Gems as a gambling addict in the crime drama. Uncut Gems ultimately was a dull display of what Sandler is capable of; he plays a pathetic anti-hero in a film with a disinteresting plot.

Punch-Drunk Love proved that Sandler is more than capable of a serious role and the display in Uncut Gems is an inaccurate portrayal of his ability to transcend genre. He is a strange and lonely warehouse worker being pressured by his many sisters to go to parties, make friends and get into a relationship. Egan grows angry and violent, struggling to control his rage. He breaks doors and attacks a car and the inhabitants with a crowbar. Sandler shows another side of his acting capabilities. He is an odd, unnerving, and unpredictable character. Sandler is an exceptional portrayal of Barry Egan alongside his love interest, Lena (Emily Watson), who portrays a friend of his sisters that is charmed by Egan. Punch-Drunk Love is able to succeed Paul Thomas Anderson’s vision of it being dark and comedic at the same time.

In order to curb an overwhelming desolate feeling, Egan called a phone-sex hotline for companionship. Egan naively recites his credit card information over the phone to the illegitimate service and faces threatening phone calls and attacks attempting to extort his money. While he attempts to escape the threats, Egan is falling for Lena, who is accepting of his fits of anger. 

Stylistically, Paul Thomas Anderson incorporates colors in between scenes in the movie which could be an extension of Egan’s mental state within the film as he struggles with immense anxiety. This color symbolism is further shown with Egan’s blue suit and the use of blue throughout the film showing when Egan is the most lonely. The displays of red show his love, passion, and courage, such as the red dress Lena wears on their first date. Cinematically, the film uses long shots of Egan running to show how alone he is, almost running from himself rather than those who are chasing him. As the film progresses, the camera becomes more comfortable with Egan, right as he is more comfortable with himself.

Punch-Drunk Love emulates a tamer American Psycho (2000). The infamously misogynistic and brutal Patrick Bateman shows parallels to the unpredictability and violence of Barry Egan. While American Psycho is clear that Bateman imagined all of the violence that he instilled in others through the film, the legitimacy of what actually happened with Barry Egan is more up for interpretation. The depth of Punch-Drunk Love is remarkable; there can be entire interpretations that one viewer may see and agree with, and another may completely dismiss. In short, for those who seek a classic Adam Sandler Waterboy (1998) or Billy Madison (1995) comedic role, Punch-Drunk Love is not the film. For those who seek a simplistic When Harry Met Sally (1989) love story, this may not be for you. This is a different portrayal of Adam Sandler and of a romantic comedy as a whole. For someone looking for a spectacular display of human anxiety both in fantastic acting, symbolic scenery, and strategic cinematic portrayal, Paul Thomas Anderson’s Punch-Drunk Love will astonish.

Hi! My name is Isabella Castineyra, I am a senior majoring in communication media with minors in journalism and criminology. I am from Boston originally, so I am all for Boston sports teams (go Pats)! I love taking naps, listening to Billy Joel, and rewatching the same shows over and over again. Go Pack!!