My Top Five Show and Movie Characters For Fashion Inspiration

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

For me, watching one of my favorite series or movies while being cuddled up in bed or on the couch with a tasty snack in front of me is one of the best ways to calm down after a long study day and regain some energy. While I obviosuly do enjoy the plot of the story, I always pay great attention to a character’s style since I think the way they dress often underline their personalities. So, here are my five favorite characters for fashion inspiration:

Serena van der Woodsen – Gossip Girl

Gossip Girl is by far my favorite show – ever! I love the characters, the setting, the drama,… EVERYTHING!

And while I know that about 50% of people reading this will hate me now, I have to say I have always been Team Serena (I love Blair, too, obviously!!). But when it comes to style, I could always more relate to Serena’s.

From the first episode right to the last one, Serena gives me a vibe of “effortless glamour”. What I mean with this term is, it seems as if she isn’t paying much attention to look perfectly put together (like Blair for example), rather she is more chilled and laid back. This starts with her stunning blonde beach waves that sometimes are put together in a messy bun or pony tail and continues with bottom-long summer dresses, as well as lose blouses and ties during her days at Constance Billard School.

I feel like Serena is that kind of friend that can wear everything and will look gorgeous. She always brings something sexy and mysterious to her looks while still dressing elegant and classy! I would literally wear all her outfits and until this day I have not seen a character who dresses the way she does which us why she ranks #1 on my list of character styles!

Fallon Carrington – Dynasty

Since Victorious, I have been a huge fan of Liz Gillies who portrays Fallon Carrington in Dynasty. Fallon symbolizes BIG Girl Boss energy: She doesn’t take no for an answer, the follows her dreams, is a huge representant from feminism and shows that women don”t have to decide between family and career. I love it!

While she definitely has some character traits that are not preferable, for example her methods to get what she wants, there is one thing about her that is undeniably stunning: her style!

In no other show I have seen as many great female business outfits that are modern, sexy, empowering and exciting! Fallon rocks bright coloured suits, combos of skirts/shorts and blazers as well as dresses to run her business. While I have to admit that some of her business outfits, for example the ones where she only wears a visible bustier under the blazer, may not be suitable for everyone in every business, it definitely looks amazing.

Besides her business looks, Fallon has her unique super long eyeliner that highlights her big eyes and there are too many breathtaking gowns during the five seasons than I can count, and she always slays. So if you’re in search for business looks inspirations, Dynasty is your show to watch!

Emily Cooper – Emily in Paris

Can’t you also not wait for the third season (which aired December 21st!)?

Emily Cooper has probably one of the most colorful and playful styles I have seen in shows recently. You won’t see Emily wear one-color-only outfits except it is an elegant evening dress – and even then, she will probably pair it with some extravagant hat or other accessories.

As I mentioned before, I am a big fan of clothes underlining one’s personality. In Emily’s case, the colorfulness of her style perfectly represents her character of always being optimistic, motivated and trying to have everybody having a good time. You can even see that her interest in the Parisian culture swaps over to her style as she dresses more European. Her unique playful, yet elegant style seems natural on her and I feel like Emily is the kind of person that has fun in triying new styles and would be bored to wear the same things every day.

Hanna Marin – Pretty Little LIars

I loved all of the liars’ styles, but I think Hanna’s was the most special one, which makes sense since she is the with the great passion for fashion and make up. In the first couple of seasons she switches from a clean and very girly look to a glamorous rocker/punk style: ripped jeans and shirts, peroxide blonde hair and smokey eyes. She is girly but in a cool, “layed back” kind of way. As the girls go through more and more trauma, this darker, more gothic look becomes more present.

What I really liked about her style is that it developes side by side with her character. In the last two seasons when the girls are older, have jobs and are in commited relationships, her style perfectly represented her new found majority. Ripped jeans were replaced by chic dresses and blazers, and still it didn”t seem fake or like a costume, it just represented a new version of Hanna. In my opinion this shows the great power of style regarding one’s personal development.

Elle Woods – Legally Blonde

I’m pretty sure I’m one of the biggest fans of the whole barbie core trend and I’m convinced that one of the first people/characters who slayed this trend was Elle Woods. What I love about her style is her continuity and how she always finds a way to bring her personal touch to her outfits. It doesn’t matter if she is laying on the pool, getting a mani-pedi or studies at Harvard Law, her style is unique and instead of changing her style for different locations, she finds a way to to dress poperly while still showing off her style (which is mostly full body pink).

Besides her style, there are many other things I admire about Elle Woods. I believe she is a great example that you can achieve whatever you want despite what anyone may say. Moreover, she always stays loyal to herself and shows that you should not judge a book by its cover (and also to never let a man bring you down!!)

German girl studying in the U.S. who loves fashion, music and girl power. Antonia is a senior at NCSU pursuing a German-American Double Degree in Business Administration with a minor in Journalism.