This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

I’ve loved tuning into MTV every year and watching the Video Music Awards ever since I was old enough to recall what the VMA’s were (fifth grade maybe?). I’m a music lover so it was one of the few times in the year where I could watch all of my favorite artists in the same space (FOR FREE). Pop culture has always entertained me too, and I always knew something controversial was bound to happen during the show, after all, the VMA’s are the birthplace of some of the most notable moments in pop culture history. After watching this years show, I’ve put together a list of my top 5 favorite performances of the night:

Busta Rhymes ft. Spliff Star: Medley

This was a medley performance of his top hits including “Look At Me Now”, “Put Your Hands Where My Eyes Can See” and more. This was by far my favorite performance of the the night which surprised me. Not that I go out of my way to listen to Busta Rhymes, but I guess I didn’t realize how many of his songs I knew. His songs were in so many early 2000’s dance movies and they’ve made their appearances on TikTok this year because they’re so fun! There literally was not a dull moment in this performance. He brought the energy, the production was on point and I was dancing in my seat for sure.

Justin Bieber and The Kid Laroi: Stay and The Ghost of You

Okay so, I like The Kid Laroi but this number two pick isn’t really about him. Though both of them did great as a whole, Justin Bieber hasn’t performed at the VMA’s in six years… he didn’t miss a beat. As a Justin fan maybe this pick is personal BUT I’m proud of him and glad he’s back to performing live. He wore an outfit that almost obstructed view of his face but his voice was more than enough. After this, I can’t wait to see how he improves throughout the rest of the year.

Olivia Rodrigo: Good 4 u

For her first VMA performance, I was really impressed with it. Honestly, there was a lot going on in the background that could’ve easily taken the attention off of her but she shined. Her mic was definitely on, I feel like she could’ve taken the easy way out for her first time with a backtrack of her vocals on such an energetic song, so that’s a plus in my eyes. Overall, this performance was so upbeat and you can tell she was just having fun with it.

Lil Nas x ft. Jack Harlow: industry baby and monter0

He set the tone of this performace from the very beginning with his marching band entrance. From Jack Harlows verse to Lil Nas’s dance break between songs, I honestly don’t have much to say other than this performance was just simply entertaining to watch. Like Busta Rhymes, there wasn’t a dull moment; the dancers were entertaining and it was high energy.

Kacey Musgraves: Starcrossed

For her debut VMA performance, Kacey took a simple but effective route. She kept things classy, with flaming hearts in the background to add to the vibes of this performance which was so pretty. This number five pick is a bit different than the rest as it was very mellow, and slightly emotional which was a common theme from her newest album. Though she didn’t have flashy costumes or dancers, her vocals didn’t fail once which is why she finished my list at number five.

Junior at NCSU Communications major/ PR concentration Fun fact: loves Justin Bieber and college sports