This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

As winter break is coming up, many of us will be traveling. I have been fortunate enough to have travel be a big value in my family. Traveling ever since I was a baby I have picked up on some tips that make packing, a very stressful thing, easier. Having gone to places like Australia and Mexico, as well as taken month-long trips across Europe, I know what it is like to be stressed out and not know how much to pack. Overpacking is very easy to do when you don’t know what to pack. So here are some tips I have gathered that will hopefully make the packing process easier and less stressful for you. 

1. Make a Checklist

Whether making a checklist may seem either obvious or dumb, it will help out a lot. Open up your notes app, and make a checklist of everything you may need. This will help you not overpack and make sure that you are not forgetting anything. My main tip for making a checklist is to add everything. Although things such as your passport or phone charger may seem obvious, in the chaos of packing and the stress from your family you know you will be dealing with, it is very easy to forget to unplug your charger and add it to your bag. Having every small detail of what you need on your checklist will be an extra reminder that will help ensure you are not forgetting anything. 

1. Pack Basics

I know it is so easy to stress out about what to wear. Pack outfits you have worn before and you know you will look great in. Don’t stress yourself out by packing that one piece of clothing you haven’t worn in 3 years because you think this is your perfect opportunity to be forced to wear it. Trust me, you won’t. Packing basics such as jeans, and tops that you can layer under will help cut back on overpacking. Have your favorite pair of jeans that you can wear multiple times, and tops that can be layered. This will increase the number of outfits you can make with just a couple of pieces of clothing.

1. Pack Essentials in your Backpack

I always have a little pouch where I keep all my chargers, headphones, and portable charger. This is such a simple tip, just keep these things together and you can always carry it around with you. You can easily move this little pouch to your purse when you get there and you go out. Having a charger with you at all times is important and will help prevent your phone from running out of battery. No need to get stranded, or lose communication with whoever you are traveling with. Going along with this, I recommend having a change of clothes in your backpack, especially if you are checking in a bag. That way if by any chance your checked bag gets lost, or you have to stay overnight somewhere unplanned due to a canceled or delayed flight, you have that extra set of clothes that you can depend on.

1. Compare with your Family

I know this may not seem essential to some but this will help you so much in deciding what to pack. What kind of outfits are they bringing? If they are only bringing 1-3 dressy outfits, pack around the same. You can ask if there are any set plans so you can coordinate what outfits you will need to bring. Also, seeing who is bringing what. If you know you are staying with your family the whole trip, you probably don’t need everyone to pack full of toothpaste, when you can easily assign 1-2 people to bring it and share. Also, if you are bringing a hairdryer, straightener, curler, etc. make sure that not everyone is bringing one and again, have only 1 person bring what you need. No need to have multiple when you can easily share. 

1. Don’t Overpack Shoes

I used to always struggle with bringing too many pairs of shoes when in reality I would always tend to stick with one. I recommend you bring 1 pair of shoes that you know will go with all your outfits and maybe a dressier shoe for if you go out and need to dress up. Having that 1 comfortable pair that looks great with everything will help to save room. Wear your comfortable pair of shoes to the airport, and pack the dressier shoes in your bag. If you want to bring your workout shoes, because you know for a fact that you will be working out, I recommend stuffing them with all your socks/smaller items. Maximize all the space you can. 

1. Wear your Bulky Items

If you are flying anywhere, my biggest tip to you is to wear your bulkiest items to save room in your suitcase. Especially now that it is cold out, your suitcase will probably be filled with many sweatshirts and jackets that will take up a lot of room. So my tip to you is to get out your bulky sweatpants, and sweatshirt. You will be comfy during your travels as well as save room in your suitcase. I also recommend that you wear a shirt under your sweatshirt in case the plane is hot, so you won’t overheat. A bonus tip is to carry your biggest jacket as 99% of the time they will not care or ask for you to put it in your bag. It also works as a pillow or blanket for when you are on the plane. 

1.  Don’t Stress if you Underpack or Forget Something

Finally, it is okay if once you get there, you realize you forgot something. Most people will be traveling to places that have stores and pharmacies. No need to stress if you forget your toothbrush, you can always go buy one. Don’t let people make you feel bad for forgetting something, because chances are they probably did too. Take advantage of this by going shopping and treating yourself to buying new clothes, etc. If anything, I also recommend having extra room in your suitcase, so that when you get to your destination, you have the space to bring back souvenirs or anything you may have gotten during your trip.

Hey I'm Amelie! I'm an anthropology major at ncsu.