Life > Experiences

My Last-Minute Gift Ideas For Picky Parents

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

I don’t know about you, but I dread Christmas shopping for my parents. Not because I don’t enjoy picking out presents for my family, but because my parents are IMPOSSIBLE to buy for. When I ask my dad what he would like, he can’t think of a thing. This is, of course, because If he needs something, he just goes out and buys it for himself, leaving me with no idea what to get for him. My mother is even worse; every year, without fail, she has answered, “what do you want for Christmas?” with “I don’t need anything; just having my family with me will be enough.” It’s infuriating. So! Over the years, I have developed some foolproof gift ideas for my parents when there is truly nothing I can think of to get them.

A personal favorite is candles; I know, I know, candles are cliche. But, find me a mother who doesn’t love a good candle for her living room! My mother’s favorite scents are lavender, citrus, and anything beachy. I like to look for candles with cute reusable holders or something that sets them apart. This adds some personalization to what can sometimes be an impersonal gift. Sometimes I can find a good one for my father as well, but I usually go for a more woodsy scent or one that feels more masculine. This way, I put some real thought into his gift, and my father will actually use it. He prefers a darker color candle as well and something that will look nice on his bedside table. Companies I have used in the past are Woodwick, Sand and Fog, and Mrs. Meyers’ aromatherapy candles. Do some research before you buy a scent or kind of candle. Maybe your parent likes a particular type of scent or wick, be a detective and look at the scents on their cleaning supplies, perfume or cologne, and even soaps. This will help you find the perfect candle for them.

On two separate occasions, I have also gotten some specialty alcohol for my mother. To be clear, I was 21 when I did this, and I do not recommend breaking the law to buy alcohol underage for any reason.  My father doesn’t drink, but my mother loves a glass of good wine or a bottle of hard cider. I asked my aunt to help me pick one out and did some googling as well. I found a semi-local brewery in Virginia called “Porter’s Mill Cider,” which fit the bill of what I was looking for. Their ciders were gluten-free and exactly what my mother liked. I ended up getting her Cherry Vanilla and Cranberry Orange Blossom, and she loved both. We were able to try them together, and even though they were a very temporary gift, it was a great bonding moment for us.

My favorite last-minute gift I have ever gotten my father was a batch of barbeque sauces. My father, like many parents, loves grilling, smoking meat, and otherwise creating tasty creations. I searched online and found two local companies that created some very interesting sauces. Their reviews were great, and even if my dad didn’t love them, I knew he would enjoy trying something new. His favorite was “Bone Suckin’ Sauce,” and I have to say, I really enjoyed it as well. And that is coming from someone who doesn’t really love barbeque. 

If you really can’t think of a single thing and have exhausted all of your options, it’s okay to go with a gift card. However, you should be careful about it. Instead of a $25 Target gift card, I’m talking about a card to a local massage parlor or a shooting range. Their favorite restaurant will never be a letdown either, and places like the movies, Starbucks, or even their hair salon are good choices. Make an impersonal gift personal by taking a few minutes to think about what they would enjoy. My mom can’t live without her coffee, so Starbucks would be a great idea. But maybe I’ll pair it with a card for a nail appointment and tell her I want to make a day of it. My dad likes to go to the range, but If I also get him a meal at his favorite local restaurant, then we can make it a fun time, or he could take my mother out! Write in a card about why you got the gift card for them and what you hope they get out of it. Suddenly a piece of plastic has meaning and saves you from your Christmas present nightmare. 

Some parents won’t be happy with a gift card, a candle, or any of the things I suggested. In that case, I honestly suggest spending a couple of hours on Etsy, Amazon, World Market, etc, and just trying your best. Good luck to all of you with picky parents!

Links to brands that were mentioned.

https://bonesuckin.com/

https://www.woodwick-candles.com/

https://sandandfoghome.com/

https://www.mrsmeyers.com/product/air-freshener/candle/

https://www.potterscraftcider.com/ciders

She/Her Creative Writing major at NC State University graduating spring of '24. I love talking about the latest TV shows and movies and playing with every stray cat I can find. My goal is to become a high school teacher and positively impact the next generation. I love talking to people and extensively researching niche things like service animals and the history of the color pink because learning things is at least 70% of my personality.