MISSING PERSON: Barbie on Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

MISSING PERSON 

Name: Barbie

Height: 11.5 inches

Hair: Blonde

Skin: Plastic

Last Seen: July 21st, 2023

Where in the world was Barbie? All over social media, everyone buzzed about how the most popular Halloween costumes would be Barbie and Ken due to the popularity of the 2023 blockbuster Barbie. Different types of costumes from the movie, such as Cowgirl, Roller Skating, Original, Aerobics, etc., had everyone ready to channel their inner Barbie! It was supposed to be the most popular costume for Halloween this year…until it wasn’t.

As I went out two nights in a row, it was as if Magic Mike and Kiss Marry Kill had taken over the scene. What happened to the iconic duo that we expected to see everywhere? Social media made claims of every girl doing Barbie, turning it into the ‘basic’ choice. But because it became so ‘expected,’ no one actually did it. Memes declared that ‘every other girl would be Barbie,’ so some who initially wanted to wear the iconic outfit decided to step back. It became a domino effect until a whole bunch of people had the same thought: ‘Maybe I shouldn’t do Barbie this year.’ The result: very few dared to be Barbie and Ken, and they certainly stood out!

Hopefully next year we’ll see more of the characters, and who knows, it might be the trend again! Here’s something to remember: Even if a costume seems like everyone’s go-to, you could end up being the only one. And even if you’re not, be confident! Halloween is all about having fun!

Mahi Patel is a writer at Her Campus NC State University. She is responsible for writing and publishing articles, participating in all meetings, attending events, and participating in events. This is her first year on Her Campus. Before Her Campus, Mahi started a chapter of Junior State of America in high school. During her summers, she would intern at pharmacies and blood banks to figure out what she wanted to continue her higher education in. She is currently a freshman at NC State University and is undecided. She plans on majoring in Statistics. After graduation, she plans to work for one of her favorite brands as a corporate actuary and hopes to pursue her passions of modeling and acting. Mahi was born and raised in Apex, NC, with her younger brother and her parents. During her free time, she loves to hangout with her friends, try different restaurants, listen to music, cook, travel around the world, and watch movies! She is a huge fan of American rapper Post Malone but has yet to go to his concert. Some of her favorite shows and movies that she keeps near and dear to her heart are The Maze Runner movies , The 100, and Hawaii 5-0.