Millie Bobby Brown in Enola Holmes
Millie Bobby Brown in Enola Holmes
Netflix

Millie Bobby Brown is Hollywood’s Next Great Actress

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

Mark my words: Millie Bobby Brown will be the next serious Hollywood actress. She’s going to be big. Meryl Streep big.

Okay, maybe she won’t top Meryl, but she certainly has the potential to be the next actress with respect across Hollywood. At the young age of sixteen, she has already proved herself in the film industry. 

Millie Bobby Brown’s first big debut was on Stranger Things, a renowned Netflix show. Millie Bobby Brown’s character is Eleven, a young girl who has special ‘powers’ and gets help from other kids in order to stop dark forces from taking over their town. 

I won’t give too much away, but Eleven’s character has very few lines throughout the show. According to BBC, Eleven speaks 246 words through the entirety of season one. Since Eleven is limited to so few words in the show, Brown shows her acting capabilities through nonverbal means of communication. This keys into her being able to use gestures and expressions to show the complex emotions that Eleven feels through the show. In later seasons, Eleven has a far more verbal role in the show and does a tremendous job with that as well. Millie Bobby Brown demonstrates her American accent in season three. Millie Bobby Brown is actually an English actress, but viewers would not be able to tell based on her performance in Stranger Things.

In her most recent work, the Netflix original Enola Holmes, Millie Bobby Brown plays the title character, Enola. She is Sherlock Holmes’ (Henry Cavill) younger sister in 1890s England. In this role, Millie Bobby Brown often breaks the fourth wall. She addresses the camera directly through the movie, similar to what is seen in Ferris Bueller’s Day Off. She has by far the most camera time in this film and performs the role of the strong young detective with ease. Additionally, Brown actually learned martial arts in order to play her part. She trained both in and out of a corset for this role. 

Millie Bobby Brown has already shown her capabilities as an actress in the film industry. Starting so young and with respected roles, Millie Bobby Brown demonstrated and continues to show that she will continue her rise in Hollywood. Similarly to the English actress, Emma Watson, who gained fame with the Harry Potter franchise, Millie Bobby Brown is headed in the upward direction all before the age of twenty.

Hi! My name is Isabella Castineyra, I am a senior majoring in communication media with minors in journalism and criminology. I am from Boston originally, so I am all for Boston sports teams (go Pats)! I love taking naps, listening to Billy Joel, and rewatching the same shows over and over again. Go Pack!!