Katie Carpenter ’13

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

Name: Katie Carpenter
Major: Communication with a Public Relations concentration
Hometown: Belmont, NC

What is PRSSA? Public Relations Student Society of America is an organization for students interested in communications and/or public relations. It is a professional organization because students get hands-on experience with real-life clients.

How did you get involved in PRSSA? I found out about PRSSA through searching campus organizations that NC State offers. I knew that Public Relations can be a competitive career to get a job in so I wanted as much experience as I could get.

What do you do in PRSSA? I am secretary of the organization this school year but we have monthly meetings where we have guest speakers come or just catch up on activities going on to get involved with. We also have a student-run firm that allows members to get involved and work on deliverables for a real-life client.

What is your favorite part about being in this organization? My favorite part is being able to actually use the skills and knowledge we talk about in class and put them in deliverables for clients.

What is your favorite activity you’ve done in PRSSA? Taking a behind-the-scenes tour of the RBC Center.

What is one of your fondest memories with being at State? My fondest memory at NC State would be joining my sorority-Delta Gamma.

What is your favorite tradition at State? Tailgating with friends before football games.

What do you hope to do after you graduate? I hope to find a job that is located anywhere, where I can do public relations, marketing and event planning all together.

What’s your favorite quote? I like the quotes “I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.”-Douglas Adams or “Dream as if you’ll live forever, live as if you’ll die today.” –James Dean

Anna is a Junior at North Carolina State University studying Communication with a concentration in Public Relations and minoring in journalism. She writes for a PR blog for her internship and enjoys writing in her spare time as well. She is part of Delta Gamma sorority and loves every aspect that DG has to offer especially hanging with all her sisters. Her future goals include working PR or within with PR either in sports or the entertainment business.