This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

As trends come and go and different styles become more prominent than others, most fast fashion stores such as Forever 21, Nasty Gal, Shein, and more adjust as follows. However, as Covid came to be and foreign shipping came to a halt, people had to find a new way to find clothing during this difficult time.  This led to the rise of vintage and thrift shopping. Local thrift stores exist in almost every city across the globe filled with people’s old worn treasures. As many people started to explore these places and find old things and make them new it has become the new trend. Social media applications such as Tiktok and Instagram became places to showcase these findings and inspired others to do the same. 

Not only does vintage and thrift shopping allow people to shop more sustainably and decrease sales for fast fashion, it also allows for a variety of unique pieces to be showcased in different ways. Buying things from thrift stores guarantees those to buy products that are completely different than that of their peers. Pieces can be from decades ago that will arise again as a recurring trend. One of the unique parts of the experience is that you are able to find high-end products that have already been worn or even styles that you find on the runway to recreate in your own wardrobe. Every single piece is different and can be worn to create your own style special to you. In addition, you can find pieces to up-cycle and make to fit your style as well without the worry of ruining something super expensive. That is one of the true beauties of thrift shopping.

The low prices are also a major advantage to shopping second-hand. Most thrift stores price products are much lower than the average department store. This is amazing when going to find a bunch of unique pieces. It was also a great advantage during the pandemic as many people weren’t able to work. This is a great alternative to shopping in department stores or online because it is not only accessible but it also doesn’t break the bank. 

Thrift shopping as a whole seems to continue to grow as people are becoming sick of wearing that of everyone else.  The search to recreate high-end outfits and portray personal styles all while not spending too much is one of the true beauties of shopping second-hand. 

I go to NC State and major in fashion marketing and management. I am super interested in media and fashion!