This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

Comfort has become key in the fashion industry. A new form of exercise fashion has come into play-calling itself athleisure wear. This is basically “fashionable” streetwear that doubles as exercise clothes. Celebrities such as Lebron James and even Kylie Jenner have been seen in athleisure wear. Stores such as Lululemon, Athleta, Alo, Nike, and Adidas have helped the athletic clothing market be worth nearly $50.3 billion. Not only have these brands grown, but stores that carry these brands have expanded as well. Stores such as Dicks, Sports Authority, etc. have expanded the space in which these clothes are shown. One example of why this market has grown is the fact people have come to find athletic wear to be both ‘sporty and chic’. As mentioned, athleisure is one of the main reasons the market is booming within countries such as the US and China. Due to Covid-19 putting such a restriction on work and everyday life, it has created a whole new market for athletic fashion. While working from home and staying in, nobody wants to wear a suit. Chic, street-ready athletic wear has been on the rise as a result of this. In addition, it’s not just a quick trend seen in a specific generation, it captivated all generations showing it’s here to stay. It’s functional and stylish and that’s also why it is so popular. 

Almost all celebrities have been seen in athletic wear made to be fashionable which is one of the reasons it’s caught the younger generation’s attention.  On top of this, sports, in general, have become not just a fun thing to watch on TV. Little kids to grown adults admire these athletes and what they do. As more and more athletes attend red carpet events, premieres, and even get caught in paparazzi, they are watched and praised. As celebrities are such a major hit in fashion these athletes have come to be as well. Athletic companies such as Adidas, Nike, etc. pay these people a lot of money for wearing their clothes. For example, Jordans have become so popular just based on it being by Michael Jordan. They are now worn in high-end fashion as the style has evolved. It also backtracks as well. Although this might seem odd, people into these fashion trends and “models” start to watch them play sports. They work for each other simultaneously growing the fashion market in athletic and streetwear along with the sports industry.

I go to NC State and major in fashion marketing and management. I am super interested in media and fashion!