I Tried the Jeni’s x Ted Lasso Collab: It’s Not Worth the Hype

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

Ahead of the new season of “Ted Lasso,” Jeni’s Splendid Ice Cream partners with the Apple TV+ series for a limited edition ice cream flavor, “Biscuits with the Boss.” By the time you are reading this, the flavor is surely sold out online and in shops, but I had the pleasure of trying it the day the third and final season began.

The flavor of the ice cream, “Biscuits with the Boss,” is inspired by the biscuits, or cookies as we say in America, that Ted Lasso bakes for his boss every morning. Jeni’s describes the flavor as “crumbly shortbread cookies in a buttery sweet cream,” but salty at the same time. Many reviews I read before making my way to my local scoop shop claimed the ice cream tastes like straight up butter. While I understand why some people may have tasted that, I certainly didn’t.

After waiting a long and cold 40 minutes in the morning, I was finally able to get my hands on “Biscuits with the Boss,” and in all honesty, it did disappoint. You may think I’m crazy for waiting that long for a scoop of just alright ice cream, but it’s not entirely my fault. I knew this flavor was something I wanted to get my hands on, and according to the employees of my local Jeni’s, the flavor was in high demand and crazy long lines were expected that morning. 

There was no line. We sat in the cold for 40 minutes waiting for a line to form and it never did.  

The ice cream honestly tasted like nothing to me, I got almost no hints of butter, only the occasional salty spoonful. Bits and pieces of the crumbly shortbread cookie inspired by the ones in the show are found in the treat, but even those don’t add too much flavor. I was disappointed in the flavor, expecting more from an ice cream shop who charges $12 for a single pint, but as soon as the reviews started coming in stating the flavor tastes like a spoonful of butter I knew it wouldn’t become a favorite of mine. While the ice cream wasn’t great, the packaging was adorable. 

I will definitely enjoy the rest of the pint I got, but it is not something I would ever choose to eat had it not been for the collaboration with Ted Lasso. The third and final season of the Apple TV+ series is airing now and is definitely a must-watch if you’re in need of a feel-good story with heartwarming characters.

Ava Stewart is the current Vice President of Her Campus at North Carolina State University. She loves to write about all things pop culture for the site, especially music. She is a true fangirl at heart which is heavily reflected through her writing. In addition to writing and publishing articles, she is in charge of overseeing the entire chapter and ensuring it runs smoothly. This is her third year as a member of Her Campus and second year serving as Vice President. She is currently a junior studying communication media studies, journalism and English at NCSU. In the summer of 2023, she briefly lived in London, England, taking literature and film classes to expand her background in reading and writing. She would love to go back to London after graduation. Ava was raised in Waxhaw, North Carolina, a town just outside of Charlotte. When she’s not writing for Her Campus, Ava loves listening to music, spending time with friends and traveling for concerts. She is a Harry Styles and Taylor Swift superfan and loves to find some way to incorporate the two of them in everything that she does. Her favorite Taylor Swift era is 1989 and she cannot live a day without listening to it.