Style > Fashion

I Can’t Stop Thinking About Louis-Gabriel Nouchi’s A/W23 Collection

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

When the photos of a blood-spattered Lucas Bravo strutting down the runway in a long black overcoat hit my Instagram feed, I gasped. Not only because I watched Emily in Paris and fell in love with Gabriel but because the outfit was strikingly familiar. It reminded me of Christian Bale’s wardrobe as Patrick Bateman in the 2000 movie American Psycho, a wardrobe that I love and think is the pinnacle of male chicness–if that’s even a thing. Come to find out; the collection was titled American Psycho. As a self-proclaimed fashion fanatic, I was stunned that I had never heard of the designer, Louis-Gabriel Nouchi, and I am so glad that I know now.

The entire collection consisted of tailored jackets, groutfits, monochromatic looks, and more. It was a modern take on 1980s yuppie fashion, and I really really hope that I see some of these looks on red carpets in the future. I like how the entire collection clearly references American Pyscho. Still, the outfits from the film aren’t recreated, which creates a creative take on the film’s fashion, and the timing could not be better as the movie is trending all over social media. 

My favorite look is, without a doubt, the first look worn by Bravo. He is the spitting image of Christian Bale, and the tailoring of the trenchcoat is to die for. Although this look is definitely more on the simpler side, it is the perfect piece to open the show. Another favorite was the completely red look that was more flowy and casual. The short leather gloves are super interesting, and the thigh-high boots are unusual for a men’s line, but I’m not mad about it. The baby blue monochromatic fit also stood out to me. I liked how in the first look, the knit trousers with the matching vest layered over the top of a business shirt and tie. The second look was the same shade but was a matching blazer and trousers with a sheer one-shoulder top and black leather gloves. Obsessed, to say the least.

To be fair, part of my obsession with this collection is that Lucas Bravo opened the show and looked fantastic while doing so. But I really do think these looks are really creative and extremely cool. I personally would style Jacob Elordi in most of these looks and think he would pull them off seamlessly. Timothée Chalamet would also be a good choice for some of these looks, so if you’re their stylists…please get to work. 

To check out the full collection, see below:

https://www.vogue.com/article/louis-gabriel-nouchi-fall-2023-menswear-paris

Cameron Crews is the president of Her Campus at NC State. She is responsible for publishing all articles, leading meetings, encouraging all staff, and overseeing the entire chapter. This is her third year on Her Campus and her second year as President. Outside of Her Campus, Cameron was the Editor-in-Chief of her high school’s yearbook, which she helped lead to being awarded the best book in the entire state and honored at Columbia University’s scholastic journalism awards. She worked as an intern at Southpark Magazine in Charlotte, NC, where she edited articles, conducted interviews, and assisted the editors. In the Summer of 2023, she attended Regents University in London, England, where she took fashion classes from high players in the fashion industry who have worked with the likes of Andy Warhol, Alexander McQueen, Christian Siriano, and more. She also had the opportunity to interview Brendan Fraser immediately after he won his “Best Actor” Oscar at the 2023 Academy Awards. She is a junior at NC State University majoring in Communications with a minor in Journalism. After graduation, she hopes to move to New York, LA, Paris, or London and work in the fashion industry as either a fashion editor or celebrity stylist. Cameron was born and raised in Charlotte, NC, with her younger brother and dog, George Bailey. She enjoys shopping, watching movies, listening to music, writing, hanging out with friends, and traveling in her free time. She is a huge Taylor Swift and Harry Styles fan and has seen them both in concert multiple times. She is also a huge Timothee Chalamet aficionado and is a huge movie fan–with some of her favorites being Once Upon A Time…In Hollywood, Barbie, Lady Bird, the Breakfast Club, and Breakfast at Tiffany’s.