How-To: Jamberry Application

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

If you have used Jamberry before I hope you find some tips or tricks that are new for you! If you are new to Jamberry I hope this tutorial helps you figure out how to apply them. I’m still pretty new to the whole process, myself. I get a little faster each time, practice does make perfect. As you get more comfortable with the Jamberry application process try mixing two patterns on the same nail for an added “wow factor”!

Here we go…

1.) Start by removing any existing nail polish and file or cut your nails to your desired length, and push your cuticles back. (Tip: if your Jamberry’s haven’t been adhering well try running an emery board or file across your nails before applying your nail shields to create texture for the vinyl to hold onto.)
2.) Select the sizes you will need from your Jamberry nail shield sheet. Do Not Peel Them Off Yet! (Tip: write down what Jamberry size your fingers and toes are and keep it on an index card or slip of paper with your other nail tools so you don’t have to measure every time.)
3.) Make a rough guess of how long the nail shield needs to be to fit your nail length. (Be sure the shield is slightly longer than you need) Trim the shield.
4.) Peel the shield off the backing and warm the sticky side with a hair-dryer for 10-20 seconds until pliable. (Tip: Try to touch the shield as little as possible so it sticks better.)
5.) Once the shield is warm press it to your nail. Smooth the shield around the edges and curve of your nail, making sure there are no bubbles. (Tip: Press the shield on starting at the cuticle and moving towards the front. This will push any air to the front and out from under the shield.)
6.) Trim off any extra shield from the top or sides of your vinyl. (Tip: after trimming the top of the shield, take your hair-dryer and warm the tip and smooth the vinyl down over the tip of your nail to create a seal.)
7.) File coarse edges away using your file in a downward motion only
8.) Apply heat and pressure to the Jamberry again to be sure it is sealed to your nail and enjoy your Jams! (Tip: for longer wear avoid contact with water for 24 hours.)

Special Trick: If you have to trim a shield to fit your nail trim following the curve of the nail shield cutting strips off the sides until its right so you don’t lose the shape of the vinyl.
(Tip: Keep the scraps from your Jamberry adventures! They’re great to use later to make rad designs once you’re more comfortable with using Jam’s)

Do you have any tips of your own? Is there a tip that you love? Check the comments below and let us know what’s up.

Image 1: http://thegrandmablog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Jamberry-Nails-Vale…

Misha Tobar is a junior at North Carolina State University. She is majoring in Political Science and hopes to attend law school to become a lawyer. In her spare time she loves to write and catch up on her favorite tv shows. Her interests include fashion, beauty, exploring new restaurants, and blogging.