This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

If you’re a fan of Taylor swift, whether a full Swiftie or a low-key fan, you’ve likely encountered Taylor Swift haters. There’s so many reasons to hate her, according to the internet. People may think her music sucks, she’s not pretty enough, she’s too rich, she’s singlehandedly causing global warming, she likes cats which is gross (?), and finally, she’s a successful woman and therefore, should be hated. It doesn’t really matter the reason behind why they hate her because each one is as insufferable as the next. And when they vocalize their ridicule, things can get heated.

I’m a hardcore Swiftie so I have come to expect the hate, but that wasn’t always the case. When I was in high school I was more interested in my fantasy books and marching band; buying merch and going to concerts wasn’t even on my radar. And yet, I still heard the anti-Taylor sentiment. Back then, I chalked it up to dumb teenagers and went on my merry way, content to ignore all off the negativity. As I have grown to be rather intertwined with Swift’s music, I have become increasingly protective of both the songs and their creator. And so, I have armed myself with some quick responses to use when faced with the trolls.

“Sorry you feel that way.” It’s a classic brush off. And when someone tells me that Taylor Swift is untalented or all she does is write about her exes, logic was never in the conversation to begin with. All I have to do to prove them wrong is a simple Google search which means they could have done it themselves. They know the truth, they just don’t care.

“When you’ve __[insert something Taylor Swift has done, such as sell out a stadium]___ then we’ll talk.” Jealousy, whether they want to admit it or not, drives a lot of the hate Swift gets. Do my words force them to confront their jealousy? Not likely, but it gets me out of further conversation with them a good majority of the time.

“…………….” Most of the time the best response is no response at all. I don’t mean to sound like your mother, there’s a time and a place to show your support for Taylor Swift and a standoff with some troll is not it.

In the end, for most of these people, nothing is going to change their minds and trying is only going to frustrate you. Many of those who are so ardent in their hate, when confronted, claim to only speak about it because they like to annoy her fans for a laugh. Your best option is to ignore negative comments or leave the conversation. Not giving them the attention they so desperately crave is your best comeback.

She/Her Creative Writing major at NC State University graduating spring of '24. I love talking about the latest TV shows and movies and playing with every stray cat I can find. My goal is to become a high school teacher and positively impact the next generation. I love talking to people and extensively researching niche things like service animals and the history of the color pink because learning things is at least 70% of my personality.