Career

How I Completely Changed My Career Path as a Junior

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

And am so glad that I did

They expect you to know before you even start – what you want to do for the rest of your life. When I was in high school and applied to college, I had no idea what I wanted to do, where I wanted to go or had much motivation whatsoever to find out. All I knew was that I needed more education before I was ready to face the real world. 

Last summer, I had a fellowship with an amazing non-profit (shoutout to Student Basic Needs Coalition), with a spectacular cause and team. I had a great gig. I could clock my own hours whenever I wanted, the university paid me, and everyone I worked with was gracious and outgoing.

The nonprofit was not the problem, the people, or the cause. That is exactly what kept me motivated and content during the summer. What inspired me to think about changing my career path was the Public Relations work.

When I got to school I started to blindly make choices on what I was good at and what I liked and eventually found myself majoring in Communication with a concentration in PR and a minor in Nonprofit Studies. It seemed great, I loved working, helping, and connecting with people. Not to mention I loved writing. So, it seemed ideal. 

However,  I never got to experience or explore any other fields. I didn’t even know if there was something else that might excite me more- and it turns out there was. 

The writing I was doing was important. Just not creative enough. Too much structure, too many rules, too repetitive. I found myself writing the same press release over and over again. The same pitch emails. The only variation was a few words. Copy and paste. 

This was not just with the nonprofit either. This was a summation of all of my Public Relations work. 

I was explaining all of this to my dad one day on a walk and he mentioned that he was surprised I never did anything in the field of physical therapy. I was relatively knowledgeable about the subject and physical wellness was a hobby of mine I loved to talk about.

I considered this for a moment and then went on a research frenzy. What it consists of, what it takes, and how to get there. I talked to several professionals and finally decided- yes. 

So, here I am. A Junior in Freshman Chemistry and Biology while still getting my degree in Communication. I still write, I just also do math. Turns out that to be a PT you do not need a specific major, just specific prerequisites. So here I am, still following my gut. 

Although it may be a lot harder from here on out, I know for sure that the end will be worth it.