Style

How to Have Fun With Trends Without Overspending!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

In today’s “Tik-Tok” driven society, trends come and go relatively quickly. The world we are creating through the internet and social media is a world of impatience. We have developed the need for instantaneous results, for example, looking for things we can do instead of working out to see changes quickly, feeding into dieting trends, or doing crazy things in hopes of losing weight without having to exert any energy. It’s simply not realistic. However, if you’re anything like me, everybody wants to “try” a trend, or develop your personal style further by taking from how everybody is dressing at the time. 

With our created impatient society and the rapid speed at which trends come and go, the constant spending to keep up with the tik-tok trends will build up. So, how do we have fun and try new trends without overspending? 

First, think about the trend, are you going to be one of the first to try it? Or has it been going on for a while, and you’re just now jumping on it? For example, you could be one of the first to try the new “doily collar trend”, shown here by Lindy Goodson.

Or, you could want to finally jump on the “collared shirt under sweater” or “tennis skirt trend” we’ve seen on so many influencers throughout the Fall and Winter.

The integral difference between these trends is longevity. Summer is right around the corner, so while layering a collared shirt under a sweater may not be around for too much longer, the trend has lasted a while and will most likely last through Spring and come back next year, so it may be worth investing in a collared shirt or even getting a detachable collar, like this one from Amazon, for ten bucks.

Similarly, as Lindy was describing, she’s not sure if the doily collar trend will catch on… personally, I think it’s cute but I would probably never go for it. If you’re unsure, but want to attempt to be one of the first to start a trend, you can go with another Amazon option as she showed, instead of buying a sweater or shirt with the collar attached that will be on the pricier side with the chance the trend will fade quickly.

So, while trends come and go, I believe there are some that are here to stay, animal print, bright colors, layering, and strappy designs are still trending, and have been trending for a while now, especially with consumers thinking forward to summer!

It may be a worthy investment for some of these pieces with Summer right around the corner, but I encourage you to think about the trendy items you see and fall in love with on Tik Tok before buying. You never know how long the trend will last!

Hi there! I am a junior majoring in Public Relations with a minor in Buisness Admin, from Charlotte, NC! I'm so excited about this opportunity to turn my hobby of writing into something more <3
Junior at NCSU majoring in Communication Media Lover of strawberry ice cream and classic rock VP of Her Campus NCSU