This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

We all have our besties, our BFFs, our #sisterfromanothermister. You plan your whole lives together, literally. The thought of separating seems insane. You’re going to go to college together, live together, party together, let’s be honest, do everything together. Somehow, that didn’t happen. You both went your separate ways and haven’t seen each other in forever. It’s heartbreaking, I know! It doesn’t have to be though, you can still stay BFFs through college, and here’s how:

Your phone is basically your bestie- seriously.

The phrase, “only one call away” doesn’t just apply to your long-distance
relationship. Your only form of contact with your best friend is through your phone
now. Make use of that. Text her and ask her which picture to post, which guy she
thinks is hotter, or even ask what you should make for dinner. Face-to-face
communication who? Just make it virtual, we’re living in COVID anyways!

Give her the occasional space.

I know, it’s hard. Especially when you want to tell your BFF everything that is
happening at every second of the day. She has a life of her own too, remember that.
She’s not always going to be able to communicate with you. There’s no harm in a
little space.

Make a plan to visit each other.

It sounds silly because you’ve already had the conversation, “OMG, you have to
come visit me and I am going to come visit you!” Girl, it’s harder than it sounds. That
doesn’t mean its impossible. Set a date to go visit your bestie. Make sure you have
everything in place, get in your car, and drive to her. If you can’t do that, then plan to
visit home at the same time. Just don’t wait until the last minute because we all know
how chaotic that can get.

Study Together

Homework, quizzes, exams, midterms, they’re stressful AF. Especially if you don’t
understand exactly what you’re learning. Don’t worry—she’s going through the
same thing, so why not study together. With technology nowadays you can seriously
do anything. Share your notes with her and have her quiz you.

CALL, CALL, CALL.

I cannot stress this enough, call that b****. When I say call, I mean Facetime, skype,
or whatever it may be, you name it. How are you and her supposed to stay up to
date with all the drama if you never call? She’s also not going to know the severity of
a situation if she can’t see your facial expression. Seriously– what if you just met the
guy of your dreams… you can’t just text her that. You need to call her.

I'm Rachel Mckenzie. I am a Psychology major at NC State University. I love cooking and reading with my whole heart. I am super enthusiastic about everything!