This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

If there’s one thing about me, it’s that I’m always on aux. and there’s a reason. I have a formula for the ultimate party playlist, and it never fails. So if you want to overcome your Aux Anxiety, here’s my simplified (but still somehow overcomplicated) guide to building your perfect party playlist.

Set The Energy

Being on aux requires great responsibility. Music can create, change or maintain the energy or “vibe” of the party. It’s your job to A) analyze the vibe, B) determine if it needs to be changed or maintained (usually if you’re trying to take over aux, the vibe needs to be changed) and C) find the right music  to achieve your party goals. The “right” music depends heavily on the type of party. Is this a chill house party with friends in your major? A pregame before a date function or Downtown? A packed apartment party with a questionable theme? Once you’ve been to enough parties, these vibe checks are quick and easy, and everyone will be bopping their heads in no time!

Know Your Audience

The right music also depends on your Party Population. Is it Girls night? Sausage Party? I break down my music by these subcategories. I’ve also included some of the songs from my playlist that fit in these categories.

For The Femmes: 

Act Up– City Girls

Pretty Girls– Flo Milli

Her– Megan Thee Stallion

Ain’t Shit– Doja Cat

Do We Have a Problem?– Nicki Minaj

Boy’s a Liar pt. 2– Pinkpantheress, Ice Spice

For The Bros: 

Fight Night– Migos (guys go crazy for this song for some reason?)

Superhero– Metro Boomin, Future, Chr*s Br*wn

King Snipe– Gucci Mane

Yah Mean– Playboi Carti

D.M.B– A$AP Rocky

No Role Modelz– J. Cole

Just Wanna Rock– Lil Uzi Vert 

Throwbacks:

The Way I Are– Timbaland, Keri Hilson, D.O.E.
No Hands– Waka Flocka Flame

Kiss Me Thru The Phone– Soulja Boy, Sammie

Hotel Room Service– Pitbull

American Boy– Estelle, Kanye West

Come Get Her– Rae Sremmurd

Promiscuous– Nelly Furtado

My Love– Justin Timberlake, T.I.

Fergalicious– Fergie

Classics: 

The Spins– Mac Miller

Jordan Belfort– Wes Walker, Dyl

Plain Jane– A$AP Ferg

Doses and Mimosas– Cherub

Sicko Mode– Travis Scott (I don’t care if it’s overplayed. It always hits.)

Jimmy Cooks– Drake, 21 Savage

“Lemme Put You On”: 

These are the songs that you don’t normally hear at parties that you think should be played at parties. If you’re like me and spend most of my weekends at different parties or get-togethers, you start to hear the same party songs over and over. It might be a song from my Discover Weekly, an underappreciated throwback, etc. I like to sneak these in every couple of recognizable songs to add some variety for our party population. These should be personalized, so I don’t have as many examples.

Latch– Disclosure

She Wolf– Shakira

Mo’ Liquor– Kari Faux, Smino

LoveGame– Lady Gaga

Party Monster– The Weeknd

I also follow this simple party rule: If the girls are having a good time, then everyone is having a good time. 

Respect the Queue

One of the best things you can do as aux holder is allowing your party population to make recommendations. Your job as keeper of the music is to create an enjoyable experience for your party population. Your party goers will be so excited to hear songs that they requested, and will remember your party better for it. At the same time, don’t let people bully you into sacrificing your perfectly curated queue just so they can hear that one song. Pepper your requests throughout your song selections, but don’t lose your playlist in the process!

There you go! In just three easy steps, you’re ready to be the “aux girl” at every party. For those looking for a starting point, here’s my party playlist.

Dahlia Bagley is a senior at NC State University and this is her fourth year writing for Her Campus. A lover of music, film, fashion, and pop culture commentary, Dahlia loves to share playlists, movie recommendations, trend predictions and anything else that piques her interest. Dahlia is studying Communication with a concentration in Public Relations and has a minor in both Spanish and English, meaning she is constantly talking, often in Spanglish. In her freetime, Dahlia enjoys shopping, reading, skincare, and spending time with friends. An avid creative writer, Dahlia has written countless poems and short stories, which she hopes to one day have the nerve to publish. Always on a quest for knowledge (read: random facts that will never come up organically in conversation), she also enjoys watching video essays and reading about various historical events. Though born in Boston, Massachusetts, Dahlia considers herself from Charlotte, North Carolina, where she has spent most of her life. When not in Raleigh for college, she is spending time at home with her parents, two sisters, and her wonderful dog, Vader.