Get Internship Ready! Part Two

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.
Get Internship Ready, Part 2Get Internship Ready, Part 2

First impressions are always the most important, so looking your best at all times is the best way
to start your day. In part one, you learned about dressing for success and how to be personable,
but in part two, you’ll learn about how to network effectively.

So what exactly is networking?
It is meeting and surrounding yourself with a supportive system of people who are have the same interests and are willing to help you. The first part of networking is having confidence and making yourself memorable to those around you. Always put your best foot forward and do it with that beautiful smile of yours!

Meeting new people

When you first meet someone, have a strong handshake. They are looking for someone with strong professionalism and confidence and your handshake is the first thing they will experience. During your conversation, make sure that you are genuinely involved and sincere, they will notice if you seem like you have other things to do. Be sure to always carry around a few business cards with your name, title, home address, phone and email. And it’s not a bad idea to get a business card holder to keep with you, just in case.

Follow up

After your meeting, be sure to follow up. Send a thank you letter. Write the letter before you
get to the interview and when you leave, drop it off in the mail so they have it in their box for
the next business day. A few key things about writing a letter; be sure to show appreciation and
highlight a key point that particularly interested you, and finally – don’t forget to sign it. They will
appreciate the time that you spent just writing the quick note. Also, send an email or call them a
few days later just to let the interview know that you appreciated their time, whether you get the
job or not.

Ready, set, GO!

Why should you network? Where do you see yourself in 5 years? 10? 15? Networking is going to provide you with more opportunities as time goes on and more references to provide you with more jobs. The more networks you have, the better opportunities and choices you will have in the long run. The best place to network is right here on campus! There are tons of people here that are looking to do the same thing you are, so work with them. They will make you push yourself harder and in turn, you will be a better, harder working collegiette!

So what exactly is networking? It is meeting and surrounding yourself with a supportive
system of people who are have the same interests and are willing to help you. The first part of
networking is having confidence and making yourself memorable to those around you. Always
put your best foot forward and do it with a beautiful smile.

When you first meet someone, have a strong handshake. They are looking for someone with
strong professionalism and confidence and your handshake is the first thing they will experience.
During your conversation, make sure that you are genuinely involved and sincere, they will
notice if you seem like you have other things to do. Be sure to always carry around a few
business cards with your name, title, home address, phone and email. And it’s not a bad idea to
get a business card holder to keep with you, just in case.

highlight a key point that particularly interested you and finally, don’t forget to sign it. They will
job or not.

Why should you network? Where do you see yourself in 5 years? 10? 15? Networking is going
to provide you with more opportunities as time goes on and more references to provide you with
more jobs. The more networks you have, the better opportunities and choices you will have in
the long run. The best place to network is right here on campus! There are tons of people here
that are looking to do the same thing you are, so work with them. They will make you push
yourself harder and in turn, you will be a better, harder working collegiate!
Campus Correspondent and Founder of Her Campus NCSU - kristiedemers@hercampus.com Kristie Demers is a Senior English major at North Carolina State University. When she isn't studying or busy working on campus, Kristie enjoys running, writing, reading, photography, and painting. She volunteered as an athletic trainer for the Cheerleading team freshman year and developed an unwavering devotion for the Wolfpack. This Wisconsin natives passions include traveling, spending time with family and friends, and loving even the little things in life. Although she is down to earth and loves making people smile, Kristie is hard working and welcomes challenges. All that this happy-go-lucky girl dreams for the future is to write for a magazine and live at the beach. In the meantime, her heart lies in the bricks at N.C. State and beats with every chime of the Bell Tower!