Campus Celebrity Throwback: Tom Mukoyama

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

Name: Tom Mukoyama

What years did you attend NCSU?
1982-1987

What degree were you going for?
Chemical engineer/computer science…almost, haha

Does that degree correspond to your career today?
Nope!

What exactly do you do?
I am the regional manager of a local restaurant chain, Kanki.

Did you ever see yourself doing what you do today when you were in college? Or did you have other plans back then?
I had other plans when I was in college. I wanted to work for the EPA.

Did you change your major when you were in college?
No, I didn’t.

What kind of activities were you involved in at NCSU?
I was a resident advisor sophomore year. My Freshman year I was a part of the social committee.

What was your favorite N.C. State tradition to partake in?
Hanging out at Lee beach was my favorite tradition. Nevermind…Tailgating for games was my
favorite. Basically, I just loved hanging out with great friends. 

What is one of your fondest memories at NCSU?
My fondest memory was winning the NCAA championship in the 1982-1983 season and playing cards in Alexander with the friends who became my lifelong friends that I still have today.

If you could name one thing you disliked about NCSU, what would it be?
Back then there was no air conditioning in the Alexander dorm.

Which dorm was your favorite and why?
I loved living in Sullivan on West campus. That was the most fun atmosphere. Numerous keg parties in the dorms (Shh!) and enjoyed the West campus jam. 

Did you ever ….

Spray-paint the tunnel?
Yes!

Go sledding on the Court of Carolina?

No.

Pull an all-nighter in DH Hill?
Yes!

Camp out for UNC v. NCSU Basketball tickets?
Yes! And numerous other games too! The longest campout was FOUR DAYS!

Steal a brick from anywhere on campus?
No.

Where was….

The best hang out spot ON campus?
Lee Beach!

The best hang out or bar OFF campus?
Mitch’s Tavern on Hillsborough Street!

Campus Correspondent and Founder of Her Campus NCSU - kristiedemers@hercampus.com Kristie Demers is a Senior English major at North Carolina State University. When she isn't studying or busy working on campus, Kristie enjoys running, writing, reading, photography, and painting. She volunteered as an athletic trainer for the Cheerleading team freshman year and developed an unwavering devotion for the Wolfpack. This Wisconsin natives passions include traveling, spending time with family and friends, and loving even the little things in life. Although she is down to earth and loves making people smile, Kristie is hard working and welcomes challenges. All that this happy-go-lucky girl dreams for the future is to write for a magazine and live at the beach. In the meantime, her heart lies in the bricks at N.C. State and beats with every chime of the Bell Tower!