This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

I don’t know about you, but I try to base my fashion sense off of certain celebrities’ style, NOT what is trending and will go out of style in a month and be found at the bottom of my closet two years from now.

I used to be a huge trend follower, when I was in middle school, EVERYONE had Adidas Superstars. WHITE Adidas Superstars. Naturally, I had to have them. I begged my Mom to take me to Nordstrom (my favorite store to this day) to buy me some. I remember her asking me if I wanted to try a different color, but I was firm in my choice of getting the white shoes that everyone had. Looking back on this now, I cringe. I have come to realize that following what is trending is boring!! Why dress the same as everyone else?? Why not dress how you want to dress without scrambling to look like your peers?? 

With that being said, here are nine women that I consider to be my personal style icons and that I think dress(ed) the way that they wanted to, and showcased their personalities through their clothes. 

First, I have the icon of all icons, Audrey Hepburn. If you looked up the word “Classic” in the dictionary, you’d find a photo of Audrey. I have been fascinated by her since the fifth grade when we had to choose a public figure and write a report about and present while also dressed as them. She mainly wore Givenchy and became very close with Hubert de Givenchy when she met him in 1954 on the set of “Roman Holiday.” I overall think her style is so elegant and classy. Each piece that she wears is simple, but should be staples in your closet.

Next I have Marilyn Monroe. Her style is much different than Hepburn’s, but just as important. She was not afraid to break the mold and wear what she wanted. Don’t even get me started on her movie fashion. From the iconic white dress in the “Seven Year Itch” to all of her fashion in “Gentlemen Prefer Blondes”, her looks were risque, but also classy and have become some of the most iconic outfits of all time.

My last Old Hollywood style icon is Sharon Tate. Her style was so modern and fun and at the same time perfectly encapsulated the Mod and Hippie style of the late 1960s. She simply wanted to dress the way that she wanted.  I often see photos of Tate’s style and forget that they were taken in the 60s. Her style was really ahead of her time and I even have a replica of her blue dress that she wore in Paris getting coffee

Next we have Margot Robbie. This may be considered as a controversial opinion because more times than not, I see people trashing her style but, I actually love her style. It’s different and not what people are expecting. She is one of the faces of Chanel, so most of what she wears is by the fashion house. Whether it’s a gorgeous gown or a pair of jeans with a sweater, I think she could wear a trashbag and make it look elegant

The next person on my list is someone that I feel is the best dressed celebrity in Hollywood and that would be Ms. Blake Lively. I am obsessed with everything that she wears. The best part is, she styles herself!!! I think that the fact that she doesn’t have a stylist makes the fact that she has never been on the worst-dressed list, remarkable.

Now on to the Duchess of Cambridge, Catherine Middleton (Everyone calls her Kate but she actually prefers Catherine.) I have been obsessed with her since I woke up at 4am in the second grade to watch her marry Prince William in 2011. Everything that she wears turns to gold. In what is dubbed “The Kate Middleton Effect,” the second photos of her wearing new clothes hit the internet, all of the items she is wearing sell out in minutes. You may be surprised to know that some of these items include tops from H&M and jewelry from discount online stores. I love that she can wear these “normal” types of clothes one day and couture gowns the next, and makes everything look elegant.

Keeping with the royal theme, let me move on to Princess Diana Spencer of Wales. I don’t think there will ever be another Diana. She was not only an impeccable dresser, she was also an amazing person who championed many charitable causes and truly was, as she was nicknamed, “the People’s Princess.” Her style was and still is incredible.

Back to a modern icon, I have the legendary Zendaya. I don’t think there is a red carpet that Zendaya has not graced and owned. Whether it’s the Emmys, Oscars, Grammys, you name a carpet and I can guarantee that she’s been there and made the best dressed list each time. Her style is very diverse and she’s worn pretty much every hairstyle and hair color and slays every time.

Next I have Paris Hilton. The ORIGINAL queen of Y2K fashion. I have loved her style for a while and now with the sudden interest and boost of Y2K culture and fashion, more people are appreciating her fashion sense than ever before. Her style may seem dated and tacky, but like most women on this list, she did what she wanted and dressed the way she wanted–and still does twenty years later.

At the end of the day, it shouldn’t matter what other people think of the way that you dress, who you choose to emulate your style after, or who is the best and worst dressed, all that should matter is if you like what you are wearing and feel confident in it. Don’t worry what other people will think, because that takes the fun out of dressing up and fashion.

Cameron Crews is the president of Her Campus at NC State. She is responsible for publishing all articles, leading meetings, encouraging all staff, and overseeing the entire chapter. This is her third year on Her Campus and her second year as President. Outside of Her Campus, Cameron was the Editor-in-Chief of her high school’s yearbook, which she helped lead to being awarded the best book in the entire state and honored at Columbia University’s scholastic journalism awards. She worked as an intern at Southpark Magazine in Charlotte, NC, where she edited articles, conducted interviews, and assisted the editors. In the Summer of 2023, she attended Regents University in London, England, where she took fashion classes from high players in the fashion industry who have worked with the likes of Andy Warhol, Alexander McQueen, Christian Siriano, and more. She also had the opportunity to interview Brendan Fraser immediately after he won his “Best Actor” Oscar at the 2023 Academy Awards. She is a junior at NC State University majoring in Communications with a minor in Journalism. After graduation, she hopes to move to New York, LA, Paris, or London and work in the fashion industry as either a fashion editor or celebrity stylist. Cameron was born and raised in Charlotte, NC, with her younger brother and dog, George Bailey. She enjoys shopping, watching movies, listening to music, writing, hanging out with friends, and traveling in her free time. She is a huge Taylor Swift and Harry Styles fan and has seen them both in concert multiple times. She is also a huge Timothee Chalamet aficionado and is a huge movie fan–with some of her favorites being Once Upon A Time…In Hollywood, Barbie, Lady Bird, the Breakfast Club, and Breakfast at Tiffany’s.