This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

A North Carolina State University police sergeant revealed information regarding the bomb threat received on October 19th as well as what safety protocols the NCSU Police Department practices in an interview on Wednesday.

Sergeant D’Agostino, Manager of the Community Relations and Crime Prevention Unit, reported that the investigation into Tuesday’s bomb threat is still ongoing. An eight-person detective unit has leads but “immediate response is no longer necessary because the claim has no credible source,” he said.

“Even when a threat is considered not credible, NCSU PD does not dismiss anything. They take in all information and there is a chain of command that distinguishes the credibility of a threat,” he said.

This is the second bomb threat NC State has received this semester, on August 29th a residence hall was evacuated because the threat was considered more “targetted.” That bomb threat was also deemed illegitimate.

NCSU PD are required to inform students of any safety issues due to the Jeanne Clery Act, this law states that students have a right to all reports and timely notification. NCSU PD conscientiously follows the Clery Act, but have a strenuous chain of command that considers any panic that may ensue when informing the public. 

Announcements are made through the Wolf Alert system that informs students through texts and emails as well as asks them to send in information they have to an anonymous tip line.

NCSU PD also uses social media as a tool to release and monitor information, including the controversial anonymous discussion thread app YikYak. Detectives take every tip into account and will even investigate if a full name or direct threat is painted on the free expression tunnel though “if it is not a credible threat aimed towards specific people or specific harm, then it is freedom of speech,” he said.

“We encourage people that if you see something, say something… [NCSU PD] goes above and beyond with Clery… every action is documented and we stay ahead of the curve,” D’Agostino said.

Hi! My name is Isabella Castineyra, I am a senior majoring in communication media with minors in journalism and criminology. I am from Boston originally, so I am all for Boston sports teams (go Pats)! I love taking naps, listening to Billy Joel, and rewatching the same shows over and over again. Go Pack!!