The Biggest Lie Known to Men

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.
Remember watching your mom or big sister lining her lips with that sultry shade of rouge as she got ready for a night out on the town? Ever since you were a kid, makeup was something to have fun with, something that made you mysterious and beautiful, something that was ultimately one of the perks of being a grown-up. And now that you’re a naturally beautiful collegiette™, the makeup really isn’t even necessary. However, some girls just love to play with their pallets of eyeshadows and blushes, covering their face in a mask of lies. Maybe it’s because they love keeping up with the latest trends of the fashion world. Maybe they are having a bad acne day, or maybe they just don’t feel complete without their “face” on. Whatever the reasoning is, Her Campus NCSU wants to assure you that you look amazing – without the cake face. 

A good friend of mine pointed out his disdain for layers upon layers of makeup. Girls usually wear makeup to fix their imperfections, and boost confidence by drawing attention to their best feature. However, guys claim that makeup is equivalent to the tell-tale lie of the Wonderbra. When you wear so much makeup that you don’t even look like the person you are without all of the powder and eyeliner, you might as well wear the mask like that guy in the last season of The Bachelorette. 

“Not to sound mean, but it usually sets up for a dissapointment when the sun rises and sleeping beauty is replaced with a drooling gob of makeup residue,” a male NC State student who asked to be kept anonymous said. 

With that said, it is important to remember to stay true to yourself. Find your best feature and play it up all you want – but don’t go all plastic surgeon on yourself in the morning with your makeup bag. What’s not to love about a girls natural beauty and the confidence she has in her own skin? OWN it don’t CLONE it!  

Campus Correspondent and Founder of Her Campus NCSU - kristiedemers@hercampus.com Kristie Demers is a Senior English major at North Carolina State University. When she isn't studying or busy working on campus, Kristie enjoys running, writing, reading, photography, and painting. She volunteered as an athletic trainer for the Cheerleading team freshman year and developed an unwavering devotion for the Wolfpack. This Wisconsin natives passions include traveling, spending time with family and friends, and loving even the little things in life. Although she is down to earth and loves making people smile, Kristie is hard working and welcomes challenges. All that this happy-go-lucky girl dreams for the future is to write for a magazine and live at the beach. In the meantime, her heart lies in the bricks at N.C. State and beats with every chime of the Bell Tower!