This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

With Halloween approaching, I know we are all looking forward to getting to eat insane amounts of candy, without getting judged too hard. I have looked for a recent study ranking people’s favorite candies. Based on a research study done by, candystore.com, back in 2021, below is the compiled list of ‘America’s Favorite Halloween Candy.’ I, however, disagree with the ranking and will tell you the correct ranking of these top 10 favorite candies. 

1. Reese’s cups 

A perfect mix of chocolate and peanut butter, not surprising that this is America’s favorite. 

Their ranking: 1

My ranking: 3

1. Skittles 

I am a chocolate over a fruity candy person. Skittles are okay, but there’s nothing special about them.  

Their ranking: 2

My ranking: 8

1. M&M’s 

M&M’s are such a classic that can be enjoyed by everyone. It is a universal candy that everyone likes, and the fact there are now many flavor options makes this candy number 1 for me. 

Their ranking: 3

My ranking: 1

1. Starburst 

This is one of the better fruity candies. All individually wrapped, which makes it easier to trade flavors with others. Not a candy you would fight for, but wouldn’t be disappointed to get either. 

Their ranking: 4

My ranking: 7

1. Hot tamales 

I was surprised to see this candy in this list at all, especially having a middle ranking. A very underrated and unique candy. Perfect for when you crave more flavor than your average chocolate or fruity flavor.

Their ranking: 5

My ranking: 6

1. Sour patch kids 

I think we can all agree that it is a crime to have Sour Patch Kids ranked so low. This is arguably one of the best candies ever and I am very disappointed that it has been ranked so low on this list. 

Their ranking: 6

My ranking: 2

1. Hershey kisses 

Such a cute and perfect sized candy. Who wouldn’t enjoy eating these.

Their ranking: 7

My ranking: 4

1. Snickers 

I have somehow always related snickers to being a dad candy. This is your typical, every dad’s favorite candy. However, it is a good classic. The flavors work perfectly together. This is not a candy that would be first in line to be traded.  

Their ranking: 8

My ranking: 5

1. Tootsie pops 

One of the worst, if not the worst candy to ever exist. You could not pay me enough to eat this. 

Their ranking: 9

My ranking: 10

1. Candy corn

The most iconic Halloween candy there is. It may not be anyone’s favorite, but the association to the day saves it from being last. 

Their ranking: 10

My ranking: 9

Hey I'm Amelie! I'm an anthropology major at ncsu.