Illustration of Timothee Chalamet and Zendaya with crowns on their heads in front of a purple swirly background
Original illustration by Cameron Crews
Style

All Hail The 2021 King and Queen of Fashion: Timothée Chalamet and Zendaya

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

If you’re anything like me, one of the pop culture highlights of 2021 was freaking out over Timothée Chalamet and Zendaya’s seemingly endless red carpet and fashion moments. After a drought of no red carpet events due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Chalamet and Zendaya stepped up to the plate and brought their A-game to make up for lost time.

The two celebs star opposite one another in the highly-anticipated sci-fi movie “Dune” directed by Denis Villeneuve. I have been waiting for this movie for years. I actually remember when Chalamet was in Africa filming back in 2018. I have been a huge fan of both Chalamet and Zendaya for years. From watching Zendaya on Disney Channel to watching her win an Emmy, she is actually one of the few celebrities that I feel like I grew up with.

Both of them have had such an amazing fashion evolution. Their stylists really know what they are doing and I am so thankful. When you look back at old photos of them on the carpet, it’s remarkable to see how much their style has changed.

With that being said, 2021 was an extremely good year for the two of them when it comes to fashion moments. Individually and together, the two stunned in their looks and I want to highlight all of them. I first need to thank the Dune press circuit for most of these looks, my fashion obsessed self will forever be grateful. I’m going to start with a brief summary of Zendaya’s best individual looks this year.

As usual, Zendaya had an incredible year for fashion looks. I love the monochromatic green blazer dress with a matching turtleneck and sparkly green pumps (slide 1). She was featured on the cover of British Vogue, InStyle, GQ, Vanity Fair, and in Valentino campaigns. Although she missed the Met Gala carpet this year, she still attended the Oscars (slide 4), Critics Choice Awards (slide 2), and the BET Awards (slide 5), and of course she nailed every outfit.

Timothée Chalamet has had a more toned down fashion year, but when he shows up, he shows out. He broke his red carpet drought after over 500 days in a golden/silver Tom Ford suit that made my jaw drop (slide 1). I will always say that Tom Ford is a genius and dressing Chalamet in this suit proves it. In September, Chalamet was one of the Met Gala co-hosts and showed up in a Haider Ackerman suit and wore Converse to honor the American theme (slide 6). He also did not steer clear of sparkly and shiny outfits this year, which seem to be a recurring theme and I’m definitely not mad about it. Like Zendaya, it was a great fashion year for Chalamet.

Now moving on to the dynamic duo finally together after years of waiting. The first time they were seen together was during a photocall at the Venice Film Festival for “Dune.” Chalamet wore a brown Haider Ackerman ensemble that consisted of a zip up jacket, matching pants, black t-shirt, and black boots. He accessorized the look with black sunglasses and a chain necklace. Zendaya on the other hand wore a Valentino Haute Couture blazer and business shirt dress combination that made for an extremely unique piece. There was a bright pink tie at the waist that went down to her feet which added a fun pop of color to the look. She wore basic black heels for a toned-down yet elegant business casual look. Although the two did not hit the carpet together, so we could see both of their outfits side-by-side, they did sit next to each other at the interview portion which gave fans a much-awaited look at the two stars together.

Following the photocall, they were able to finally make their official red carpet debut together, and they did not disappoint. The two were dressed perfectly and their looks were inspired by the movie. For some background, “Dune” takes place in the future in a barren and sandy terrain. Chalamet plays the main character Paul, while Zendaya plays his love interest, Chani. Zendaya wore a custom Balmain gown that was made to look like sand dunes flowing in the wind. She wore her hair in a wet, slicked back look with dramatic makeup. She accessorized the look with an especially dramatic 93-carat emerald Bulgari necklace with a matching ring. On her feet she wore custom matching Louboutins to tie the entire look together. Chalamet on the other hand paid a sparkly homage to what his character, Paul, wore in the film. He wore custom Haider Ackerman and the entire look was no par with the costuming from the movie. He paired the outfit with a myriad of Cartier rings and bracelets as he had just been named an ambassador for the brand. The two made their debut and stunned everyone everywhere. Twitter exploded with fans and fashion fanatics freaking out over finally seeing them together on a carpet. 

Their next fashion moment together was a smaller one, but every moment counts. The two did a Buzzfeed interview where they took a “BFF” test for a truly hilarious video. Zendaya wore an army green, oversized, nylon, jacket with a huge gold zipper while Chalamet wore a white jacket with brown trim and a white shirt. Because they are sitting down, it is difficult to see their full outfits, but even with only seeing half of the looks, it is very obvious that the two are dressed to the nines–as usual. Attached I have the video that the two did together if you want to give it a watch.

Their next look together was at the Paris premiere of “Dune.” Zendaya wore a maroon Alaïa two-piece look. The top was cropped, backless, and long sleeved while the skirt was a bodycon style with matching maroon fur at the bottom. Her hair was teased and styled in voluminous curls and she looked amazing. Chalamet wore a contrasting look in a blue Tom Ford suit. This was the second Tom Ford suit he wore this year and once again, Tom Ford is a genius. He paired the suit with more Cartier jewelry. I love how these two looks are so unique and different from one another while at the same time the colors contrast beautifully.

Their last Parisian look was for the Dune photocall right in front of the Eiffel Tower. This might be my favorite fashion moment of them together because they both look like the definition of cool and I am jealous. Chalamet wore a multi-toned brown Burberry suit with Cartier jewelry and shades. Zendaya wore a Bottega Veneta suit dress with matching pants and shades. I don’t know if it’s the sunglasses, the polished outfits, or the fact that they are right in front of the Eiffel Tower, but the two absolutely exude coolness. 

With “Dune” being one of the most anticipated movies of 2021, it did not come as a shock that the cast would cover an issue of Entertainment Weekly. Timothée and Zendaya looked absolutely stunning and I really love that the photographer chose to take the photos at what appears to be sunset. Chalamet wore an Alexander McQueen brown leather jacket, turtleneck, boots and Loewe white leather pants. Zendaya wore a Mark Fast red-orange gown and Bulgari jewelry. 

After a few weeks off, the two reemerged at the London photocall for “Dune” with more stunning looks. Zendaya wore a Vivienne Westwood chain corset and brown and white checked skirt for a truly London look (Westwood is from the UK). Like her Venice Film Festival look, this look is on par with the theme of the movie but this time it gives off more of a futuristic vibe. Chalamet was on the complete opposite of the spectrum in a brightly, floral patterned, Stella McCartney cream and blue suit. This suit is beautiful. Every piece of it is covered in the pattern and he really stands out against the sea of black suits that there typically is. Although the two outfits are totally different, the two make them work together.

To promote the movie, the two went on “Good Morning America.” Chalamet wore a blue hoodie with a New York bomber jacket that he would take off to reveal a Stella McCartney sweater. Zendaya wore an oversized brown suit that was totally monochromatic. If you haven’t noticed, the two nail the business casual style. 

Another promotional event for “Dune” came with the two hosting an Instagram takeover. They posted stories on the company’s official account about their dreams, celebrity dinner guests, etc. Timothée wore a Slytherin sweater from the film and book series “Harry Potter” while Zendaya wore a navy leather zip up dress with gold hardware. 

Their final look together (as of October 21st 2021, I would not be surprised if they have made some surprise appearances between the time that I wrote this and when it was published) was at the London premiere of “Dune.” Chalamet stunned in an black Alexander McQueen suit with silver zippers all over the suit. This look is so intricate and unique and Chalamet definitely looked his best. Zendaya wore a stunning Rick Owens white gown with an over accentuated neckline and one long sleeve. This is the best that the two have looked on the press circuit and I am absolutely obsessed with both of their looks

Timothée Chalamet and Zendaya ruled the red carpet in 2021 and I have no problem crowning them the king and queen of fashion for this year. (I don’t have any credentials to name them this, but I am going to do it anyway). These two are so incredibly cool and I hope to see more red carpet looks of the two of them in the future. Make sure you catch “Dune” in theaters and on HBO MAX starting October 21st. 

Cameron Crews is the president of Her Campus at NC State. She is responsible for publishing all articles, leading meetings, encouraging all staff, and overseeing the entire chapter. This is her third year on Her Campus and her second year as President. Outside of Her Campus, Cameron was the Editor-in-Chief of her high school’s yearbook, which she helped lead to being awarded the best book in the entire state and honored at Columbia University’s scholastic journalism awards. She worked as an intern at Southpark Magazine in Charlotte, NC, where she edited articles, conducted interviews, and assisted the editors. In the Summer of 2023, she attended Regents University in London, England, where she took fashion classes from high players in the fashion industry who have worked with the likes of Andy Warhol, Alexander McQueen, Christian Siriano, and more. She also had the opportunity to interview Brendan Fraser immediately after he won his “Best Actor” Oscar at the 2023 Academy Awards. She is a junior at NC State University majoring in Communications with a minor in Journalism. After graduation, she hopes to move to New York, LA, Paris, or London and work in the fashion industry as either a fashion editor or celebrity stylist. Cameron was born and raised in Charlotte, NC, with her younger brother and dog, George Bailey. She enjoys shopping, watching movies, listening to music, writing, hanging out with friends, and traveling in her free time. She is a huge Taylor Swift and Harry Styles fan and has seen them both in concert multiple times. She is also a huge Timothee Chalamet aficionado and is a huge movie fan–with some of her favorites being Once Upon A Time…In Hollywood, Barbie, Lady Bird, the Breakfast Club, and Breakfast at Tiffany’s.