I Love Nyc Pizza
I Love Nyc Pizza
Anna Thetard / Her Campus
Life > Experiences

A New Yorker’s Guide to Fast Food in the South

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

After living in Syracuse, New York for over 15 years and then moving to Raleigh for college, I had to learn the basics about living in the new city. I found one of the biggest differences between Syracuse and Raleigh is the food. Below, I have created a comprehensive list describing the top five most important places to eat in Raleigh as a college student. This list does not include the best restaurants in Raleigh at all, as I have not yet gotten the chance to go to some of the nicer places here. However, after a frat party or when you’re hanging out with friends, these are some of my recommendations to get a good meal.

1. Bojangles

Whether you want a chicken sandwich, a biscuit, or some delicious sweet tea, Bojangles has it. A lot of their food has a Cajun flavor to it, making it very representative of the South. Everyone needs to go to Bojangles at least once. It is great for game days.

2. Cook out

Not only does Cook Out have over 30 unique milkshake flavors, but they also offer so many options for food. Some of my favorite items to get on a tray are the quesadilla, cheese bites, and hushpuppies. In my opinion, the Cook Out sauce is one of the best fast food sauces offered. Also, Cook Out is usually open until at least 3 AM so it is perfect when you are craving a late night snack.

3. Zaxby’s

Zaxby’s, in my opinion, is perfect for game days. The food is always good, and I usually get the Big Zax Snak Meal, which consists of chicken fingers, crinkle-cut fries, and Texas toast. They also have a few unique sauces that are perfect for dipping, including their signature Zax Sauce. My favorite part about Zaxby’s is their huge cups, which are perfect to bring to tailgates before football games since it does get hot here and you need to stay hydrated.

4. Waffle House

Many people agree with me about this: Waffle House is best enjoyed in the middle of the night, which is good because it is open 24 hours. They may not have the best food in the world, but a waffle at 2 AM is so good. That’s all I have to say about that.

5. Gym tacos

Gym Tacos is a great place to go with friends when you want some good Mexican street food. They offer many different options, and their food is cooked and made so well every time. I can’t promise it won’t give you a stomach ache though; I know from personal experience.

I’m from Syracuse, NY and I go to North Carolina State University where I am currently studying microbiology. After college, I hope to go on to medical school.