This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

Two weeks ago, my roommate tested positive for COVID-19, sending my suitemates and I into a panicked spiral as we all got tested and began quarantining. Thankfully, I tested negative, but I was still required to complete two weeks of strict quarantine in an on-campus location just in case. Here are three things my university-mandated quarantine taught me.

The Importance of Self-Motivation

I thought the isolation of quarantine would give me plenty of time to focus on school work. It did give me plenty of time, but I spent way too much of it procrastinating instead. It became so much easier to stay in bed and watch the new season of Love Island than it was to get out of bed and be productive. This taught me the importance of self-discipline and self motivation. I think this is an important lesson that we all will learn at some point during this all-virtual semester. I started focusing on things I knew motivated and inspired me, and not only was I able to get more work done, but I was also able to relax without the dread of undone assignments constantly looming over me. 

Slowing Down is Important

The past two weeks have slowed me down A LOT. At first I was frustrated by it, but eventually I realized how important it is to allow ourselves to slow down every once in a while. Taking a step back from my normal, busy routine helped me refocus on the things that REALLY matter, and it was a refreshing break from the craziness of the back to school season. I think especially during this unprecedented time of change, it’s important for us all to slow down and refocus when we start to feel burnt out. 

Keep Your Loved Ones Close

Spending two weeks alone gave me plenty of time to think about all the things I was NOT doing. It reminded me to squeeze my loved ones a little tighter the next time I saw them, to cherish the moment before it becomes a memory, and to never let the little joys of life go unappreciated. After getting the last half of my senior year of high school derailed and now my first semester of college following along, it’s easy to feel disappointed. This quarantine taught me not to spend my time dwelling on everything I’m missing out on but to focus on cherishing the things I AM able to do instead.

Hi! My name is Eleanor Conner and I’m a sophomore at NCSU. I’m from Asheville, North Carolina and I’m majoring in Fashion and Textile Management with a concentration in Brand Management and Marketing and a minor in Business Entrepreneurship. I'm a member of Delta Gamma and serve on the Circle of Sisterhood Executive Board at NC State. In my free time, I like to go out with friends, go shopping, workout, and drink coffee! I'm passionate about writing about design and lifestyle related topics, and I'm so excited to be working with Her Campus NCSU!
Junior at NCSU majoring in Communication Media Lover of strawberry ice cream and classic rock VP of Her Campus NCSU