This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

When is the combination of papers, exams, and stress most common? Exam week. As the semester moves on with its ups and lows, the one thing everyone dreads are the final week where tensions are high. That is why with exams right around the corner, there are a few key things to remember to ensure success and maintain sanity. 

1. Eat!

This is without a doubt the most obvious answer, but it is still incredibly important. Your brain can not function without the proper nourishment. To go above this obvious advice, eat some of your favorite foods during this week. No matter what it is, just enjoy yourself! The week is stressful enough, so why not find some joy in good food and your favorite snacks. 

2. Get the right amount of sleep.

It is easy to rationalize pulling an all nighter and studying until your eyes are as heavy as lead. However, that does not mean you should necessarily do it. Trying to memorize formulas, dates, or theories while exhausted will get you nowhere. If anything, you put yourself more at a disadvantage because the more sleep the better the quality of memorization you have during study hours. 

3. Caffeine in Moderation.

Building on the last point about energy, try not to go overboard with the caffeine. Now, caffeine can help with maintaining energy and keeping you focused. However, everything in moderation. Too much of a good thing can become a bad thing. That is why you shouldn’t chug energy drink after energy drink, and take breaks from caffeine with water.

4. Make Time for Fun.

Breaks are so important to keep you sane. Not only are breaks good for your memory, but just your mind in general. It keeps away burnout and helps the week be a little less stressful. While taking those breaks, try to do something fun! Whether that is something small like scrolling on your phone or going out and getting coffee with a friend. Just make sure you take time for yourself, because at the end of the day your mental health is more important

5. Be easy on yourself.

I know it can be easy to feel like an exam grade can make or break you. A lot of times, your average of the class may depend on that great. However, you should not let this one test define you. I am not saying you should reject its importance all together, but at the end of the day it is one test. It is one day out of thousands that you may not remember. It feels good to succeed, but it also feels good to ease the pressure of yourself. The less pressure, the more confident you feel, and the better you can do. So, with all these stressful exams, be easy on yourself.  

Reagan Carson is a writer for Her Campus at NC State University. This is her first year writing for Her Campus and looks forward to this new adventure. Prior to joining Her Campus, Reagan was very involved in various activities. She was an opinion editor for her high school's newspaper where she learned the ins and outs of publication, editing, and planning spreads. In addition, Reagan was involved in her high schools' FBLA chapter where she served as the chapter's parliamentarian. Her duties included planning spirit events, creating social media posts, and maintaining a committee. During this position, she also worked to host events and volunteer opportunities with the March of Dimes organization for her chapter. Lastly, Reagan was a member of her high school's mock trial team and hopes to continue this activity in the future. Now, she is a sophomore at NC State University and is majoring in political science with a minor in history. Reagan was born and raised in Greenville, NC. In her free time, Reagan enjoys binge watching trashy reality TV shows, listening to music, online shopping, and spending time with loved ones. She is an avid Taylor Swift, Hozier, and Noah Kahan fan. She also loves baking and is a semi-pro at decorating sugar cookies. After graduation Reagan hopes to go to law school and pursue her love of working with others and helping those in need.