10 Ideas for the Perfect Winter Bucket List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

1. Make hot chocolate!

Whether you’re in an area where winters are cold and snowy or you’re in an area where the weather is warm, hot chocolate is the perfect way to get into the cozy winter mood. There are dozens of different ways to make hot chocolate, such as using hot chocolate bombs, using mix-in powders like Swiss Miss, or making your own by melting down chocolate! If you’re looking for hot chocolate recipes, I think Pinterest is a great place to start.

2. Buy a pair of cute cozy pajamas!

Anna Schultz-Friends Laughing In Holiday Pajamas
Anna Schultz / Her Campus

Pajamas, fuzzy socks, or cozy clothes are another great way to get into the festive winter spirit. Even if you don’t like long sweatsuit-style pajamas, brands like Aerie or Hollister have recently released the cutest pajama sets made up of silky shorts and tank tops. Personally, I love a good pair of Christmas boxer shorts with a comfy sweatshirt.

3. Go ice skating!

As a person from a small town with no ice skating rink, ice skating always makes me think of winter and the holidays! Ice skating is also a great photo opportunity if you’re looking for some cute Instagram inspo, or it’s an adorable first date idea!

4. Build a gingerbread house!

There’s nothing better than some friendly competition when it comes to building gingerbread houses! I love getting together with some friends to build gingerbread houses because it’s an easy way to get to know one another better, and it’s always fun to add in some extra toppings and decorations to take your gingerbread houses to another level! They always have super cute ones at Target, or they also have them at Five Below!

5. Get cozy by a fire!

Sitting by a fire is the perfect way to get snuggled up with your best friends, your family, or your boo! It doesn’t have to be in a fireplace, you could have a bonfire if it’s not too snowy outside, or you could just put a video of a fire on your laptop or phone! Not to mention, a fire is the perfect opportunity to make a s’more and warm up from the cold weather.

6. Go see Christmas lights!

Drive-through Christmas light shows are one of my favorite parts of winter, but if your town doesn’t have a local drive-through light display, I love driving through nearby neighborhoods and looking at the lights that people have decorated their houses with!

7. Go sledding!

If it snows, sledding is a great way to get outside and enjoy the winter weather! It’s a fun way to spend time with friends, and it’s always fun to explore around your area to find the longest and steepest hills!

8. Wrap a gift!

If you celebrate Christmas or any other gift-giving holiday, there is no better way to get into the spirit than by wrapping up a gift for someone you love! I love turning on some Christmas music and settling in to wrap the gifts that I’ve gotten for my friends and family because it makes me so excited for the holidays to come! Even if you don’t have any set gifts to give to family or friends, you can volunteer for nearby community service projects to help wrap and give gifts to families in need!

9. Go shopping!

Gossip Girl Blair Waldorf Shopping?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
The CW

Along the lines of wrapping gifts, it’s always fun to go shopping in winter! Malls are often decorated for the upcoming holidays, and stores will often have great sales on all of their items!

10. Make a must-watch movie list!

Whether it’s Christmas movies that you’ve been waiting all year to watch, or just some movies that you’ve been wanting to watch throughout the semester, winter break is the perfect time to take an entire day to just relax and watch some movies! Making a must-watch movie list helps me to remember everything I’ve been wanting to watch, and it makes me extra-excited for winter!

Make this winter the best one yet by checking all the things off your bucket list! Happy holidays!

Hi! My name is Abby Shoemaker, and I'm a first-year student at North Carolina State University majoring in both industrial and systems engineering and psychology! I love reading, listening to music (especially Ariana Grande and Juice WRLD), shopping, and swimming. When I'm not writing or with my friends, you'll find me organizing something, doing my nails, or watching those 5-hour deep dive videos on YouTube.