6 Lessons from Beyoncé’s Lemonade to Inspire Your Success This Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCCU chapter.

We spent all summer obsessing over Beyoncé’s mouth-watering visual album, Lemonade, and her ability to effortlessly weave together a story of pain and pleasure — one that we can all unashamedly relate to. Lemonade reminded us to stay unapologetically black, to embrace womanhood and all of its sweet glory, and to show vulnerability and transparency without questioning our own strength. Beyoncé’s tantalizing lyrics, strung together with the enticing words of Somali-British poet, Warsan Shire, left us thirsty for more lemonade.

On the surface, Lemonade seems like a woman’s attempt to air out her marriage and throw shade at her allegedly unfaithful hubby and the infamous “Becky with the good hair.” But, Lemonade is a versatile piece of art, crafted with care and wisdom. The meaning behind the album is not limited to our love lives. So, as the fall semester kicks into gear and the papers start to pile up, let’s take a look at the lessons within Lemonade that can keep us motivated, inspired, and ready to conquer another school year.

Lesson #1: Girl, don’t change for anybody but yourself.

College is a big melting pot of differences and, more often than not, it’s quite common for us to fall victim to the pressure of acting like someone else to impress others. As Beyoncé takes us on an emotional rollercoaster, she also reminds us that trying to change for another person is utterly useless. Beyoncé sings, “I tried to change. Closed my mouth more. Tried to be softer, prettier, and less awake.” Despite these attempts, she still did not gain the acceptance that she had hoped for. College is the prime time to truly discover yourself, learn your likes and dislikes, build your strengths, practice your weaknesses, and offer nothing to anyone other than your true self.

Lesson #2: Stay composed in the midst of negativity and kill ‘em with kindness.

Beyoncé closes out her major single, “Formation,” with “Always stay gracious, best revenge is your paper.” If one should decide to live their life by a song quote, I strongly urge it to be this one. Queen Bey, with the help of her fiercely loyal Bey Hive (in which I am a proud member), battles off haters quite often. However, despite the negativity that comes along with Beyoncé’s fame, her success speaks for itself. In the face of adversity and negative energy, we should strive to maintain composure, keep it classy, and let our triumphs speak for themselves. Don’t plot your revenge, plot the future of your empire.

Lesson #3: We’ve been getting served lemons for decades, so let’s keep making lemonade.

“Grandmother, the alchemist. You spun gold out of this hard life. Conjured beauty from the things left behind. Found healing where it did not live. Discovered the antidote in your own kitchen. Broke the curse with your own two hands. You passed the instructions down to your own daughter. Then she passed it down to her daughter.” Black women have been fighting and surviving since the beginning of time. Life throws us lemons, but we continue to make lemonade out of our problems. Keep fighting through whatever life throws your way. You’re not just doing this for yourself, but you’re also staying resilient for all those who fought before you. Most importantly, you’re doing it for all of those who will come after you and will aspire to have your strength.

Lesson #4: Never accept defeat as an option.

In the moving, socially aware tune “Freedom” featuring Kendrick Lamar, Beyoncé empowers us to never waver in our strength. She sings, “I’ma keep running, cause a winner don’t quit on themselves.” So, unless you want to be Meek Mill in 2015, don’t give up. You can do it, I promise. College isn’t easy; it’s stressful, sleep depriving and your pockets are probably emptier than the library on a Friday night. Regardless, this is an investment into your future, so don’t quit on yourself.

Lesson #5: Stop looking for the light at the end of the tunnel and find faith in the darkness.

“My Grandma said nothing real can be threatened. True love brought salvation back into me. With every tear came redemption. And my torture became my remedy.” Every time you find yourself expressing anger, jealousy, or resentment, the answer can be found in true love. Love conquers all, and love itself can turn your lemons into lemonade. Find true love within yourself and have faith. Even amidst hectic times in your life, when everything seems to be falling off the shelf and shattering into millions of pieces, true love and strong faith are the two major keys to finding your way. Just know that your pain will only have a crucial impact on your growth moving forward.

Lesson #6: The world is yours. Own it.

“I just might be a black Bill Gates in the making.” Self-explanatory.

OK Ladies! Now, let’s get in formation.  

Hello! I am a sophomore at North Carolina Central University studying Biology with a concentration in Secondary Education. I'm an aspiring science teacher, part-time flower child, self-proclaimed book worm, and studying feminist. “You educate a man; you educate a man. You educate a woman; you educate a generation.”