This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCAT chapter.

This North Carolina A&T college student is not waiting around for opportunity to come to them. Instead, she has started using her talent to make a name for herself today.

Tenaiya Imani, freshman creative writing student from Rocky Mount, North Carolina, is a poet and the author of her own book titled “The Metamorphosis of Me”. Since her early teenage years, Tenaiya Imani has been writing poetry that reflects her life. The book is a collection of those poems and a journey through her early life and high school years.  

The title of the book is a metaphor comparing Tenaiya’s personal growth to the cycle of a butterfly. At first, she was only writing poetry as a way to vent, but with of the support of her church, family, and friends she decided to publish them. The poems are true to the nature of the writer. She does not sugar coat her feelings and some of the poems do include explicit language. “This book is one of the realest things I’ve seen.” she said.

Tenaiya Imani’s testimony is also included in the book as a reminder that every struggle can be overcome. It takes a lot of courage to display such raw emotion and to share life lessons with all of her readers. She is inspired by the things and people that have hurt her and turns that negativity into poetry. The book could be therapeutic for some readers who might relate to her stories. This touching collection of poetry is one of a kind.

The book is available for only $15. You can order one by direct messaging Tenaiya Imani on her Twitter @TenaiyaImani or Instagram @tenaiya.imani .

Bray-Lynn is a Multimedia Journalism student at NCATSU. She loves writing and has her own blog alongside the work she does for HerCampus. Her ultimate goal is to inspire people.
I am Alexis Hooper, President of the North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University chapter of Her Campus.