School’s Cool and All But…

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCAT chapter.

From the outside looking in, college seems like a fun time. Everyone is partying, being independent, and chilling with friends. However, and this is a big however, stress kicks in and going away to school is not all the hype that TV makes it to be.

As a first year student, Gemiah Ruffin, expected living on campus to be easy going. Much to his surprise it is really expensive and “the struggle is real” staying on campus. You’re always hungry, laundry is way too much, and once flex runs out then you’re forced to eat café food.

Now when it comes to some of the student body, Marcus Williams, a junior, feels that people don’t necessarily act their age. He states that a good majority of students acts like kids and that, after the first year, “[they] don’t really want to be here, they’re just here for the hell of it.”

Sophomore, Destiny Dawson agrees saying that people don’t act like adults. As far as the females are concerned, she said “There are a lot of beautiful women…but we hate on each other for some reason. There are females with pretty personalities and pretty faces and females with ugly personalities and pretty faces.” As for the guys, “they don’t interact with you,” she continues, “I can count on one hand how many times I’ve been approached here.” We both see eye to eye in saying that for most men, they just want to have sex with you, but not all guys.

When in college, you can accumulate debt. At the moment, Williams is $25,000 in the hole and has taken out a private loan for summer school. Ruffin exclaims that he is drowning in debt and “needs an air tank.” Remember, he is only a freshman. Conversely, it is possible to decrease this burden and trust me it is a burden. Dawson had a loan and then got a scholarship that paid for it, so it’s completely up to how hard you work.

At the end of day, it is collectively agreed upon that graduating and getting a degree is the goal regardless of the expectations coming in. So good luck! 

I love Beyonce & Erykah Badu ! twitter: @unjordynary, ig:@un.jordyn.ary
Hi everyone! I am a sophomore at North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University who should be majoring in Weddings, but is actually a Journalism & Mass Communications student with a concentration in Multimedia. Originally I am from Woodbridge, Virginia, which is about 30 minutes south of our nation’s capital. I have lived here all my life, but I’m not afraid to branch out and explore the world. This past summer I studied abroad in Sydney, Australia to engage and immerse myself in Australian culture. The experience was phenomenal and I’m already counting down the days until I can return that beautiful country. Check out my Tumblr, Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook.