Not Home for the Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCAT chapter.

The Holidays are always the ideal time to catch up with relatives, see old friends, relax, and just spread love and cheer. Unfortunately, this may not be the case for everyone. While everyone else is under the mistletoe, here are a few great tips on how to stay on Santa’s nice list while spending the Holidays alone: 

1. Keep up with Holiday traditions 

If your favorite thing to do as a child was to sit by the fire, cuddle up and watch Christmas movies, then so be it. Keep that same energy and go find your favorite box set or tune into Freeform (formerly ABC Family). 

2. Check in with relatives 

Just because you are away from the ones you love does not mean you cannot give them a call! Encourage your relatives to use apps like FaceTime, Google Hangout, and/or Skype to contact you. Send them personalized videos. Anything to say I’m thinking of you. 

3. Make light of situations 

Whether you’re alone during the Holidays by choice, or force, find some positivity in everything you do. Take this time to focus on your mental health, love yourself, and do what makes you happy. There’s no sense in bringing in the New Year with the same old negative thinking and attachments. Just because you are alone does not mean you are lonely. 

Being emotionally, spiritually, and mentally stable should be at the top of your wish list for this Holiday break. It’s not about the money you spend or time you may or may not invest, it’s about genuinely sharing and building memories. The Holidays are about getting back to and loving you (and to whom this may apply to- partaking in your religious beliefs). Stay safe and remember make your Holidays special wherever you are!

I am Alexis Hooper, President of the North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University chapter of Her Campus.
Hi everyone! I am a sophomore at North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University who should be majoring in Weddings, but is actually a Journalism & Mass Communications student with a concentration in Multimedia. Originally I am from Woodbridge, Virginia, which is about 30 minutes south of our nation’s capital. I have lived here all my life, but I’m not afraid to branch out and explore the world. This past summer I studied abroad in Sydney, Australia to engage and immerse myself in Australian culture. The experience was phenomenal and I’m already counting down the days until I can return that beautiful country. Check out my Tumblr, Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook.