The King of Aggieland

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCAT chapter.

Name: Jamal Averett

Classification: Senior

Major: Marketing Sales

Hometown: Kinston, NC

Could you tell me about the platform you used when running for Mister A&T and what it means to you? “The platform I ran on when running for Mister A&T was King You: Bringing out the King in Everyone. To me this means bringing the best out of everyone no matter your background through community and service and campus involvement.”

How did you stay positive during campaign season? “I was able to stay positive throughout everything because of my awesome campaign team and my support system; it really meant a lot to have people support my vision.”

What advice would you want to give to students who may want to be Mister or Miss A&T? “My biggest advice will be to make sure you always remember to stay humble and put your best foot [forward] in everything you do.”

Are you currently working on any initiatives/programs to better our campus and/or the community? “Besides my Gentleman Tuesday, where males dress up on campus every Tuesday, [I’m working on] My Gentlemen Tour, where I will go around to each residence and host different Real Men Real Talk discussions. I am currently working on my Gentlemen Network Mentoring Program where will go out to the community and go to different high schools.”

Do you have any plans or goals for after graduation? “I plan to work full time, and after a year go to graduate school.”

If you could tell people one thing that they might not know about you, what would it be? “I love to work out!”

As busy as you are, how do you find the time to relax and let yourself recharge? “It’s crazy! I am trying to find the time right now as we speak.”

What is a quote you live by? “‘Don’t worry about failures, worry about the chances you miss when you don’t even try,’ by Jack Canfield .”

What is the number one thing you’ve learned so far by just being at A&T? Always to be you no matter what!

Hi everyone! I am a sophomore at North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University who should be majoring in Weddings, but is actually a Journalism & Mass Communications student with a concentration in Multimedia. Originally I am from Woodbridge, Virginia, which is about 30 minutes south of our nation’s capital. I have lived here all my life, but I’m not afraid to branch out and explore the world. This past summer I studied abroad in Sydney, Australia to engage and immerse myself in Australian culture. The experience was phenomenal and I’m already counting down the days until I can return that beautiful country. Check out my Tumblr, Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook.