Kaepernick Stays Seated

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCAT chapter.

San Francisco 49ers quarterback, Colin Kaepernick, has started some controversial conversations about his decision to stay seated during the National Anthem before the 49ers’ game to LA Rams. Kaepernick exclaims his decision to not stand up is his protest against what the National Anthem really stands for, wrongdoings against African-Americans and minorities in the US.

In his words, Kaepernick stated, “I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color. To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people are getting paid leave and getting away with murder.”

Many of his teammates and other players in the NFL did not side nor agree with Kaepernick’s decision to stay seated. They even said they believed it to be rude and disrespectful that Kaepernick would choose to “disobey” his country in participating in such behavior. However the NFL released a statement saying, “Players are encouraged but not required to stand up during the playing of the National Anthem.” In correct terms, Kaepernick was not in the wrong at all for expressing his beliefs.

I stand with Kaepernick’s decision all the way. Think about it: he could start a movement with this one decision. Shout out to Colin Kaepernick for using his publicity and role as a positive influence to all minority communities! We look up to you now more than ever! Thank you for standing up to your beliefs by staying seated.

Read, write, and love!
Hi everyone! I am a sophomore at North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University who should be majoring in Weddings, but is actually a Journalism & Mass Communications student with a concentration in Multimedia. Originally I am from Woodbridge, Virginia, which is about 30 minutes south of our nation’s capital. I have lived here all my life, but I’m not afraid to branch out and explore the world. This past summer I studied abroad in Sydney, Australia to engage and immerse myself in Australian culture. The experience was phenomenal and I’m already counting down the days until I can return that beautiful country. Check out my Tumblr, Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook.