Hollyweird: One Month Update of Pop Culture in 2016

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCAT chapter.

We’ve only made it to the second month of the new year and Hollyweird is already acting up ladies and gentlemen. It seems like almost everyday in January you could log into any of your social media accounts and see another celebrity as the trending topic. Let’s just take a look at a few of the things that went on within the first month.

1. First on the list is Mr. Dj Khaled himself. While a lot of his snaps keep his fans in tears of laughter, the joke was all on him only two weeks into the year. Everyone went crazy when he decided to flash his AMEX card and within a matter of 30 seconds, $80,000 was missing from the mogul’s bank account.

His remarks on such a big slip up? “I’ve made a lot of mistakes in my life and this is just. Another one” along with, “People who bought something with my card. All purchases are trackable and you will be arrested.”

2. Next up is Stacey Dash’s response to Jada Pinkett-Smith’s rant on the lack of diversity that is acknowledged in the entertainment industry. In a nutshell, Stacy’s comments weren’t the most supportive and she stated that she thinks BET, the NAACP awards, and Black History month enables segregation.

3. I know Hollyweird is a reference to Hollywood, but celebrities all over the country are running a muck. This time we’re referring to the Tara Wallace, Peter Gunz, and Aminah love triangle from Love and Hip Hop: New York.

Peter Gunz is married to Aminah, but Peter also cheated on Tara with Aminah during the first season of the show, but now Tara is expecting her and Peter’s third child together.

4. Can we also mention the first Twitter war of the year? Well actually, Kanye’s first Twitter rant of the year. He definitely had more than a few words for Wiz Khalifa after Wiz tweeted “Hit this kk and become yourself,” and because the whole world revolves around Kanye West and the ever so popular Kim Kardashian, Kanye thought Wiz was referring to Kim, rather than his good ole cannabis.

Of course we can’t only mention the bad things though. Some really great things happened in January which made the month even more memorable.

1. The first great thing to come out of January 2016, is Rihanna’s new album! On the morning of the 28th she released a single but little did we know, she’d had plans on dropping the album, ANTI, later on that day! By the way Rih…thank you for such an amazing album!

2. Also, in January we caught wind of Beyonce performing at Super Bowl 50, alongside Coldplay. The diva also supposedly has new material up her sleeve for the #BeyHive!

3. If you aren’t acquainted with what’s going on, Flint’s water has been contaminated with lead. While the water crisis itself is a big controversy within itself, it’s nice to see celebrities with the means to make a huge impact and step in to help the city prevail. Rapper, The Game, donated $500,000, Madonna and Big Sean both donated $10,000, and the list goes on.

4. Lastly, we weren’t expecting rumors of Leonardo Dicaprio and our beloved pop princess, Rihanna, being in a relationship. After a video popped up on the internet of the two liplocking everyone went crazy! The two have neither confirmed nor denied the relationship but we definitely already have their couple’s name #Lehanna.

Well folks, that’s it for now. Being that January has been filled with so many surprises so far I’m sure the rest of the year will be just as interesting…So, let’s how the rest of 2016 goes.

Aspire to inspire.
Hi everyone! I am a sophomore at North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University who should be majoring in Weddings, but is actually a Journalism & Mass Communications student with a concentration in Multimedia. Originally I am from Woodbridge, Virginia, which is about 30 minutes south of our nation’s capital. I have lived here all my life, but I’m not afraid to branch out and explore the world. This past summer I studied abroad in Sydney, Australia to engage and immerse myself in Australian culture. The experience was phenomenal and I’m already counting down the days until I can return that beautiful country. Check out my Tumblr, Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook.