HerCampus Hears You: Ask Alexis

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCAT chapter.

With all of the hustle and bustle that comes along with college it’s easy to get confused, frustrated, or lost. With everything going on we know you guys have questions and you may not know who to turn to, who to ask, or what to do. But, have no fear HerCampus @ NCAT is here! You ask the questions and we give you our very best and honest answers! Here are this week’s questions and here’s my advice.

1. Being that school just started, I’m really stressed out and it’s reflecting in my daily routine. What should I do to relieve some stress?

School’s back in session and so is the stress! The best way I can tell you to deal with is, for one don’t stress over something that won’t matter next week. Yes, in the moment it may seem urgent or problematic, but sometimes it’s just not that deep.

Pace yourself. Don’t overwhelm yourself by thinking about all that you have to get done and how much time you don’t have. Time you’re spending stressing out is time you could be doing what you have to do. Therefor, just write out all the things you have to do and put them in order by what requires your attention the most.

Sweating your stress away also works! Nothing can compare to a nice workout session where you can release all the tension built up inside.

Also, what helps me the most: ALONE TIME. In college there are people everywhere and it seems you can never be completely alone, so wherever you can find that solitude, stick with it! However, during this time that you’re alone allow yourself to relax, unwind, and process the way that you’re feeling and the thoughts that you’re having. Often times if you don’t just take a moment to yourself you start to feel stuck, mentally cluttered, and unfocused. Allow yourself the time and positive energy to think things through and just be in your own element doing your own thing. Take this time to read that religious text, novel, self-help book, or whatever it may be, and get away from the world! You could even write things out or listen to music- they all help!

One other thing you could do, if alone time and organizing your time doesn’t work, find a new hobby or something that you enjoy doing! Learn a new skill and allow it to keep your mind off things that are weighing you down!

2. I’m tired of being a good person but I feel like the world needs good people. Is there a bad side to saying no and not always being dependable?

You’re right, the world does need good people! So why take away the good karma that comes along with being one? For all the good that you put out into the world, the world gives back to you. Sometimes it can get frustrating when people take advantage of that, but that’s their karma and you know for future encounters that they’re not all that appreciative of your niceness. There’s so much negativity out in the world and you wouldn’t make it any better by taking away the goodness in your heart. Just treat others kindly and if they don’t appreciate it, don’t take it personal- that’s a representation of their heart and energy, not your’s. So keep being good and keep doing you.

Also know that if you say no, it’s okay. It took me the longest to start feeling comfortable with saying no. Chances are that if you’re saying no because someone asked something of you that you’re not comfortable with, not capable of doing, or not interested in doing- all things that require your permission. It doesn’t make you a bad person if those are the reasons that you’re saying no. The only time it might be a little shady to say no is when you literally have no reason for saying no. But no one can get mad at you for you deciding what you do and do not want to do with your time, your energy, your whatever, so don’t feel bad! It’s better than being stuck in a situation or circumstances that you’re not satisfied with. We only get one life so make sure you’re doing what brings you peace.

Both of these questions essentially have one thing in common: coming to peace with the circumstances and people around you. Yes, school can get super stressful and yes, saying no sometimes makes you feel like you’ve committed some terrible crime. But when you end your days make sure you’re not letting your work, worries, or other people burden you to a point where there’s no peace of mind left for yourself.

Major key: find your

I hope you all found my answers and responses to be helpful and encouraging. In the meantime, here’s the link to our ask.fm for you to ask us whatever your heart desires: http://ask.fm/hercampusncat

Aspire to inspire.
Hi everyone! I am a sophomore at North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University who should be majoring in Weddings, but is actually a Journalism & Mass Communications student with a concentration in Multimedia. Originally I am from Woodbridge, Virginia, which is about 30 minutes south of our nation’s capital. I have lived here all my life, but I’m not afraid to branch out and explore the world. This past summer I studied abroad in Sydney, Australia to engage and immerse myself in Australian culture. The experience was phenomenal and I’m already counting down the days until I can return that beautiful country. Check out my Tumblr, Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook.