Gun Violence Awareness on College Campuses

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCAT chapter.

Let’s play a quick game called “Did You Know?”

Did you know that firearms are the 12th leading cause of deaths? Did you also know that close to 33,000 Americans were victims of gun-related deaths in 2011 and an average of 268 citizens are shot every day?

Last question. Did you know that a stray bullet has no name?

Recently, my heart has been heavy on the topic of gun-related crimes on college campuses. It happens more than you would think, and more than we would like. As students, we come to college hoping for the best experiences of our lives. We arrive, get involved, meet new people, and just want to have fun; however, sometimes that fun can turn into danger when we least expect it.

In the last year, more than 23 college campuses have dealt with gun violence nearby or on the campus of the college. Some of these schools include University of South Carolina, Bethune-Cookman University, Delaware State University, University of Florida, Savannah State University, and more. Out of fifty states, seven allow permit concealed guns on campus, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures. These states include Colorado, Idaho, Kansas, Mississippi, Oregon, Utah, and Wisconsin.

In my opinion, this is not okay. We come to school and we plan, and hope, to go back home to our families. College is suppose to be a getaway, not a death trap. Let’s be bold and stand up. Let’s put the guns away. If you agree with me by standing and stating, “Put the guns away!” wear orange one day this week. Orange is the color supporting gun violence awareness. Wear this color and explain your reasons and tell someone to tell someone else. Let’s make this a movement.

Read, write, and love!
Hi everyone! I am a sophomore at North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University who should be majoring in Weddings, but is actually a Journalism & Mass Communications student with a concentration in Multimedia. Originally I am from Woodbridge, Virginia, which is about 30 minutes south of our nation’s capital. I have lived here all my life, but I’m not afraid to branch out and explore the world. This past summer I studied abroad in Sydney, Australia to engage and immerse myself in Australian culture. The experience was phenomenal and I’m already counting down the days until I can return that beautiful country. Check out my Tumblr, Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook.