This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCAT chapter.

Dear Past Me, You have so much ahead for yourself. I know you’re afraid of the future but there’s nothing to fear. Throughout your next few years, you will grow immensely. In this time period you will learn much about yourself, even things you weren’t aware of or didn’t know were possible. At this point in your life, you’re not sure where God will take you but I promise He’s taking you somewhere special. Right now, you’re 18 years old and you’re about to leave for college. You are shy and intimidated about what you are about to experience and who you will experience it with, but do not let others intimidate you. Be bold, confident, and loving.

You will face many challenges through your next four years. You will meet many people who will have a great effect on your life. You may lose friendships but you will gain better ones. However, do not let others define who you are as a person.

Do not be easily influence or tempted. You know better. Know your morals and values. Do not devalue yourself and never let another person devalue you. Keep God first in every single thing you do. Do not stress yourself over pointless situations. Instead, grow from it. Do not be afraid to step out of your comfort zone. You will never grow if you are not willing to change.

But when you’re in the process of change, let your growth be positive. Live, laugh, and love. Be YOU in every aspect of your life. Last but never least, you are beautiful, no matter what anyone says. Boost your confidence level. You were meant to stand out. Embrace it. Challenge it. Accept it.

You are perfectly imperfect and that is always okay. You are flawless in your own ways. You are a Black girl of many different attributes and character.

Let your melanin pop and let your glow shine. Shine bright, Black girl.

Love, Future You

Read, write, and love!
Hi everyone! I am a sophomore at North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University who should be majoring in Weddings, but is actually a Journalism & Mass Communications student with a concentration in Multimedia. Originally I am from Woodbridge, Virginia, which is about 30 minutes south of our nation’s capital. I have lived here all my life, but I’m not afraid to branch out and explore the world. This past summer I studied abroad in Sydney, Australia to engage and immerse myself in Australian culture. The experience was phenomenal and I’m already counting down the days until I can return that beautiful country. Check out my Tumblr, Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook.