BREAKING NEWS: Let’s Put the Guns Aside, Let’s Love

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCAT chapter.

For years now, we’ve turned on the news and there is another person of color being treated as if they have no human rights or someone is under fire when they choose to speak out against this mistreatment.

It was only a month ago, on September 20, when Keith Lamont Scott was shot by a CMPD police officer, Brentley Vinson, in Charlotte, North Carolina.

Scott was a loved husband, son, and father to seven children. As one of Scott’s children is a student here at North Carolina A&T, this recent tragedy hit very close to home for the Aggie family. A number of students and staff on A&T’s campus are from the Charlotte and when the student body heard of the news, everyone stepped into action.

A large number of A&T students took it upon themselves to meet at the reflection pool located near the center of campus, as we always do when the time comes to reflect, mourn, and celebrate.

Meeting at the pool was only the start. Students conducted a peaceful march from the reflection pool to the statue of the inspiring Greensboro Four, located near the south end of campus. As the march occurred, students chanted, “No justice, no peace!” and other chants and prayers that promoted unity and love. The night was filled with compassion and it was such a beautiful sight to see on our campus.

In addition to the loss of Keith Lamont Scott, the students of A&T also lost two classmates only a couple of weeks after mourning Scott’s death. On October 2, 2016 Alisia Dieundonne and Ahmad Campbell were shot and killed at a house party being hosted in a housing complex near A&T’s campus. The shooter has not been identified and questions are still lingering.

Such heartbreaking and alarming news sent the entire campus into a state of grief and prayer.

The loss of these students has left such an impact on the student body of A&T. Partygoers who were once excited by the thought of house parties are now fearful, parents who were once prideful of their college students are now concerned, and students are questioning their safety more than ever.

There is so much violence and hatred in the world we’re living in today, therefore it is essential that we all stand together to make difference and strides towards progression, not only as a country, but as various communities. We have to be the change we intend to see and we must support one another when we feel as though our voices are not being considered enough.

Yes, there is a problem with police brutality. There’s no denying that. However, we have problems in our communities that are just as bad. Just as we intend to speak up against police brutality we should also speak up and against the violence happening right in front of our eyes at the hands of one another.

As individuals and as people everyone must learn to love not only ourselves but also one another. To do a disservice to your neighbor and community is also to do a disservice to yourself.

Aspire to inspire.
Hi everyone! I am a sophomore at North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University who should be majoring in Weddings, but is actually a Journalism & Mass Communications student with a concentration in Multimedia. Originally I am from Woodbridge, Virginia, which is about 30 minutes south of our nation’s capital. I have lived here all my life, but I’m not afraid to branch out and explore the world. This past summer I studied abroad in Sydney, Australia to engage and immerse myself in Australian culture. The experience was phenomenal and I’m already counting down the days until I can return that beautiful country. Check out my Tumblr, Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook.