Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Sexual Health: Where You Can Get Contraception in Singapore

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nanyang Tech chapter.

Though we’ve written on the types of contraception available previously, how can we get it, especially in Singapore? It’s actually not as inaccessible as it may seem and you don’t have to go to KK Women’s and Children’s Hospital all the time. However, you might have to jump through some hoops to get your birth control —  for example, some of these may require ‘counselling,’ where nurses will ask you your intentions on purchasing birth control. They may also ask you how many partners you have or if you have children. Various reasons to get birth control can include regulating hormones to alleviate skin issues or have regular (or skip) periods, and contraceptive purposes.

No doctor in Singapore will prescribe birth control to a woman under 16 because it’s illegal.

This list will go from the most easily available through online methods to the least available such as being available only in clinics. This list will also feature Ease.sg (not affiliated), an online platform that seeks to make birth control accessible and convenient, especially for those who have busy schedules and can’t go for polyclinic appointments or those who want to keep such matters private.

Condom

These are easily available at Watson’s, Guardian, or even Redmart and Shopee, with a wildly varying price range from $5 for a pack of 3 to $30 for a pack of 10. But did you also know you can get a box of 12 condoms at the polyclinic for $2?

These are one-time use only and should be discarded if the wrong side has touched the penis which renders it less effective.

Female Condom

These are less traditional and more expensive at around $40 for a pack of three but are easily available online through sex shops. They are not commonly available and need to be ordered online, but call your preferred clinic to check if they are able to get them for you.

Birth Control Pills

The three most common brands used in Singapore are Yaz, Yasmin, and Diane-35. They range from $25 to $40 for a month’s supply. These are combined pills which contain estrogen and progestin. The exact hormones differ from brand to brand but have similar effects. The cheapest is Diane-35, while Yasmin (often called the branded birth control pill) is the priciest. The differences are negligible. Yaz contains fewer placebos and slightly less estrogen than its sister pill Yasmin. Yaz may prevent bloating due to the presence of Drospirenone which eliminates sodium from your tissues, preventing water retention. However, this will encourage potassium retention, which can be dangerous if you’re a heavy user of anti-inflammatories such as ibuprofen or if you have kidney, liver, or adrenal disease. Lastly, Diane-35 is a combined pill containing drospirenone. It also contains cyproterone acetate.

This can be obtained at polyclinics, where they start off with one month’s worth and gradually go up to six months’ just to make sure there are no side effects. Alternatively, you can also get the pills from Ease.sg.

Patch

The patch can be obtained through Ease.sg at around $50 and lasts for a month.

Private clinics also provide this option but may be more costly with consultation charges.

IUCD (Intrauterine Copper Device)

This first type of IUD, which is a copper one, is available through polyclinics in Singapore. It will cost around $80 give or take, and you are required to be on your period to make an appointment with the family planning clinics to insert it.

This can also be done at KKH but will cost much more, at around $600. You can also check with your private clinic if they offer this service and the cost as it varies per clinic.

This method will last for 5 years. Check with your doctor on the exact model to make sure you will be covered.

Injection

The injection can be done at the polyclinic, for about $40 – 50 per shot. At KKH, it may cost $150 – 200 per procedure.

This method will last for 3 months.

IUD (Hormonal)

This second type of IUD, or Intrauterine System, is effective through the use of hormones. It will also cost around $600 for the whole procedure and consultation as it is only offered in KKH, and not in polyclinics. You can also check with your private clinic if they offer this service and the cost as it varies per clinic.

This method will last for 3-5 years. Check with your doctor on the exact model to make sure you will be covered.

Implant

This arm implant can only be done at KKH and is a more expensive option, coming out to be around $400-600 (with removal). A polyclinic referral would not be helpful, as there would be no subsidies unlike referrals for dental clinics and such. Directly make a call to KKH to inquire about making an appointment for this.

Vaginal Ring

This would be around $60 per ring through mainly private clinics. Each ring will last you a month. The cost may also vary wildly due to the nature of private clinics and consultation charges.

Zinc Tan

Nanyang Tech '21

Zinc (she/her) is a Sociology undergraduate at Nanyang Technological University and the Senior Editor for HC Nanyang Tech. During her free time, you can find her drinking tea, sewing, or watching films (and often commenting on them). A proud intersectional feminist, she has a passion for creating discourse on inclusivity.