This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nanyang Tech chapter.

As we get into the swing of the semester, I started exploring time management methods to maximise my productivity, and came across a method called time blocking. After trying it out for two months, here’s my experience with time blocking and its pros and cons!

Time blocking and how it works

Time blocking is a time management method where you split your day into blocks of time completing different tasks. These blocks can be as long or short as you’d like. I time block my day by listing out tasks that need to be done for the day, estimating the amount of time needed for each task and blocking out time on Google Calendar.

Pros of time blocking

Personally, I prefer time blocking over other productivity methods, such as basic to-do lists or the pomodoro method.

Allows you to focus one one task

For me, time blocking forces me to complete tasks by not allowing excuses to procrastinate. It helped me avoid distractions and reduced the need for multitasking, by having a certain time allocated for each task. I was less likely to feel overwhelmed by the mountain of work, as I could visualise that I did in fact have the time to focus and did not need to multitask.

Forces you to work efficiently

Furthermore, having a set amount of time to work on certain projects has also made me work more efficiently. For instance, I would block out 2 hours for completing one of my modules’ readings. Before time blocking, I would have a basic to-do list and with an unspecified amount of time to complete each task, and I would always leave my readings undone because I thought I could complete them later, which was an inefficient way of working. But I noticed that with time blocking, I am forced to do my readings more efficiently as I only have 2 hours to complete them before I need to move on to another piece of work.

Better planning and time management

Time blocking has helped me keep track of where I spend my time, better plan and prioritise my commitments, and become more productive. When I started time blocking, I tended to overestimate how much time was actually required to complete certain things. After realising that not much time was needed to cross tasks off my to-do list, I was better able to manage my commitments. Furthermore, as a chronic procrastinator (previously, hopefully), I usually put off work as I believed that each task would take a huge amount of time to complete, and would feel overwhelmed by the sheer quantity of work to be done. The realisation that I tend to overestimate each task made it easier to start work as I now know that I can easily and quickly take care of it .

Cons of time blocking

Takes time and effort to time block

As compared to other productivity methods, it takes time and effort to actively time block. Unlike just having a to-do list or setting up timers for the Pomodoro method, time blocking is a two-step process rather than just one. Plus, it can take some time to plan out each day of the week, which not everyone wants to do or even has the time to do.

Less flexibility

The biggest downside of time blocking is the lack of flexibility. Unfortunately, most of our time isn’t actually ours. Unexpected events pop up and sometimes need our immediate attention. An impromptu lunch turned hangout session, an unanticipated important meeting or an emergency can derail a day. Such unexpected events can lead to confusing scheduling and wasted time. 

Final thoughts

While time blocking is a great productivity method, it certainly has its downsides, mainly the lack of flexibility. However, I managed to get around the issue by not time blocking every single hour of every day. I gave myself some empty time spaces where I could rearrange the time blocks and have some time to deal with any task that suddenly comes up. 

All in all, though time blocking has personally worked for me, the rigidity of it might put off people who prefer more flexibility with their time. With any productivity method, what matters is finding what works for you, and also adapting it to fit your own needs.

Love our content? Follow us @hcnanyangtech on Instagram for more to come!

Laura Lee

Nanyang Tech '23

Laura is a Public Policy and Global Affairs undergraduate at Nanyang Technological University in Singapore. Outside of class, she sings and hangs out with her three cats!