This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nanyang Tech chapter.

Gen Zs are probably the least religious generation, and it’s creating a population crisis for religious groups. In Singapore, based on the 2020 census, about 20% of the population are non-religious, consisting mostly of younger people. If you have seen the “Losing My Religion” Tiktok trend, it uses a song from R.E.M that users duet to explain the reasons why they have left the religion, you would have probably realised that, an overwhelming majority of them are from Generation Z. 

This trend is inevitable as the world is moving towards a more secular direction instead of a religion-entrenched one. With the rise of science and technology, there is a preference for rational thought and logical explanations, something which cannot always be found in religion. Furthermore, with social psychology now becoming more common knowledge, phenomena like cognitive dissonance, insufficient justification effect, selective bias etc. are better understood and Gen Zs are increasingly viewing religion as a coping mechanism or method to organise our random world rather than seeing as truths or sources for internal value or virtue. Generally, people now look at the sciences or other observable evidence to explain the world around them rather than something that cannot be seen or even proved. This means that religion plays a much smaller role in Gen Z’s lives and they are less likely to view it as valuable, important or necessary. 

In this trend, you can see many contradictions that the users point out about their religion like in this video. Most Gen Zs simply follow their parents’ religion; while they participate in religious rituals, they are less likely to believe in them and perhaps only do so out of familial obligation.While childhood religious socialisation is one of the strongest predictors of adulthood affiliation,, this relation is progressively becoming weaker as Gen Zs lean more towards individuality and independent thought.

This is particularly so considering the rigidity of organised religion. For a generation that can feel so trapped and suffocated in their physical (dense cities) and psychological (constant environmental stresses and pressures) spaces, freedom is craved for and desired after. In expressing this freedom, we enjoy breaking out of moulds, which can manifest in asking questions that have never been asked before. When our questions can’t be answered in tangible, logical ways, it sows doubt and creates inner conflict, which is often resolved but leaving religion. 

Although Gen Zs are moving away from traditional religions, there is a rise in spirituality, particularly through crystals and black magic. During the NTU Arts Festival, the tarot reading vendors had huge numbers of customers that came in never-ending streams. Astrology has also boomed in popularity. These are all related to witchcraft, which is a paganistic religion or spirituality that is associated with the independence of women. 

For example, the Salem Witch Trials is probably the most famous persecution of women by the church. Witchcraft has always been deemed as demonic and evil, and much of this perception is stemmed in the patriarchy and the hatred or resentment towards women’s independence in terms of their own ideas, business and identity. Witchcraft is becoming the reclamation of identification for many young women in terms of banishing negativity and gaining self confidence. It is perhaps a reflection of successful feminist movements over the years. 

At the heart of it all, however, is that Gen Z has a buffet of options to choose from with the rise of the internet. We have access to alternate views at our fingertips, and can freely debate about such topics behind anonymous online usernames that will not betray us. Understanding different perspectives enables us to have more informed opinions rather than blind beliefs. This also translates to higher tolerance for other religions, races and affiliations. 

The lack of religion is deemed by some as a morality crisis; but perhaps it is more of an inevitable sea of change that can lead to something positive — tolerance, understanding and informed opinions. 

Emmy Kwan

Nanyang Tech '25

The embodiment of a "material gworl" but with no money, if she isn't complaining about capitalism, the economy or the patriarchy, you can find Emmy in the aisles of a clothing store, ironically selling her soul to the corporations she often critiques.