Wellness

Five Reasons Why the Menstrual Cup Makes your Time of the Month Easier

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nanyang Tech chapter.

Author: Sun Kai Li

Most of us have heard of the menstrual cup and that it’s an eco-friendly alternative to disposable pads. But let’s face it: do we actually know much about the cup beyond that?

Trying out the cup can feel like a big change to make, and I hesitated for months before purchasing it. Now that I’ve been a proud convert for more than a year, I say forget the environment for a while—here are five reasons why the menstrual cup will make your time of the month easier!

SO WHAT IS A MENSTRUAL CUP?

A menstrual cup is a cup typically made of medical-grade silicone, and is inserted below the cervix to collect menstrual fluid. When inserted, it creates a vacuum seal which prevents leakage through suction. The cup can collect menstrual fluid for up to 10-12 hours, depending on how heavy your flow is. It generally costs around $30-60 from retailers in Singapore, and lasts up to a good 10 years if maintained properly! 

REASON #1: LESS LEAKAGE & HASSLE OF CLEANING PERIOD STAINS

When inserted properly, the menstrual cup forms a secure suction and collects menstrual fluid inside your body. No more worrying about pads shifting—you’ll be less likely to leak throughout the day or when sleeping at night. With less time spent washing stained underwear, clothing or bedsheets, this will save you many precious hours! 

Menstrual cups are also easy to clean. Just rinse it with water between every use, and boil it once at the start and end of each cycle.

REASON #2: SAY FAREWELL TO BULKY BAGS & COUNTLESS TOILET TRIPS

With a wear time of up to 12 hours, the cup has a much higher capacity than pads and tampons. This allows you to go about your day without frequent washroom visits to change your menstrual product. Most cup users only have to empty it 2-3 times in a day, even for those with heavy flow who would otherwise change their product every 1-2 hours.

Also, just one cup is enough for your entire period—no more stocking up your bag with disposables!

REASON #3: FEEL SO COMFY YOU’LL FORGET THAT YOU’RE BLEEDING

Most new users are surprised that they don’t feel like they are wearing anything once the cup is inserted correctly. Without the stiffness of pads, odours, or feeling wet and stuffy for hours—all the things I used to associate with my period—I now feel dry, clean and fresh with the cup. 

Coupled with the worry-free feeling of having no leakages, even just relaxing and lying down during your period feels liberating!

REASON #4: GO AHEAD WITH BEACH DAYS, SWIMMING OR GYM SESSIONS

No more planning your exercise or water activities around your time of the month! When inserted properly, the cup forms a tight seal and should not budge or leak. It can be used during any activity except for sexual intercourse—it will stay intact during yoga, spin, HIIT and other intense sports.

The cup is also safe and suitable for use in the water. It collects menstrual fluid instead of absorbing it like tampons, so there’s less exposure to the oxygen and bacteria that causes Toxic Shock Syndrome. With the cup, you can still put on your favourite swimwear too! 

REASON #5: SAVE THAT $$$ 

Menstrual cups are actually a great investment that saves you money in the long run, as each cup can last up to 10 years if maintained well. 

They do have steeper upfront costs as compared to disposables, starting from $30-$35 whereas pads or tampons would cost a few dollars for a pack. But the cost of one cup is equivalent to the average amount spent on disposables for around a year, so it’s the more economical choice as long as you use it beyond that. And trust us, you probably will!

As students, cost is always a concern—keep reading for a special discount for NTU students.

THE HARDEST PART IS GETTING STARTED

The menstrual cup offers many benefits to help women enjoy a more liberating period experience, and it’s about more than just saving the environment. Menstrual products are a very intimate decision, hence it’s so important for all women to educate themselves about alternative menstrual products and be empowered to make their own choice!Of course, there’s also no avoiding the steep learning curve of the cup. If you’re thinking of trying the cup, A Better Flow is a menstrual cup campaign here to help NTU students #OwnYourFlow! Started as a final-year project by four students from NTU WKWSCI, the social campaign consolidates all you need to know about menstrual cups through entertaining content, videos and cup reviews on their Instagram, TikTok and website. It’s also the only non-profit local resource dedicated to the Singaporean perspective on menstrual cups.

Check out their video featuring NTU students learning about the cup—more videos upcoming!

A Better Flow currently has very attractive discounts brought to you through their brand partners. You can now get a cup for as low as $28.05, U.P. $33 from Freedom Cups— it’s really the best time to get started!

Use the code [ABETTERFLOW] when you shop with their brand partners (Ends 8 Mar 2022, 2359):

There’s also an ongoing promotion with Anya Active, for all the fitness-lovers:

• Get 15% off Anya Active with the code [ABETTERFLOW15] (Ends 8 Mar 2022, 2359)
  • Join this giveaway to win a $100 Anya Active voucher

If you have more questions about menstrual cups, check out A Better Flow’s Instagram or FAQ page which answers many common queries such as “Can the cup get lost inside me?”. All the best with your menstrual cup journey!

Her Campus Nanyang Tech Contributor