Fall into the World of True Crime Youtube(rs)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nanyang Tech chapter.

Going onto YouTube is like falling into a rabbit hole. You can spend hours clicking videos after videos and by the end of the day you have no idea how you landed on the video that you are currently watching. This is how I ended up as part of the true crime YouTube community. Today the true crime genre on YouTube has been growing at an increasing rate. Not only is there an increasing amount for YouTube channels making true crime their niche, more people are watching such content. Given the overwhelming number of these YouTubers, below are some channels that I often turn to and would like to share with you as you start your journey into the world of true crime YouTube. 

1. That Chapter

Narrated by Mike who is from Ireland, his videos “report[s] on some of the craziest cases and unsolved mysteries out there, with some unfunny jokes stuffed in between” as noted on his channel description. Compared to most of the other YouTubers I will be introducing, his mode of narration is more lighthearted and he does insert his own sense of humor when telling the cases. But this might not be everyone’s cup of tea. However, for those who are new to true crime YouTube or true crime in general and do not want the gory details, this channel would be a great start!

1. Kendall Rae

Kendall Rae is one of the few true crime YouTubers who actually works closely with the families of the victims to have their stories told. She has a link to a Google form in the description box in her videos for these family members to work with her to raise awareness of their cases. In some of her videos, said family members do appear to personally tell their stories. This close collaboration gives her videos a more personal touch but also ensures that misconstrued facts are reduced to the minimum. 

1. Stephanie Harlow

Out of all the channels I am recommending, Stephanie Harlow’s channel is my favourite. She delivers her story with a no-nonsense attitude and is not afraid to express her feelings regarding the cases she tells. You can see this passion of hers as she spreads awareness, especially in cases where innocent and helpless children are involved, most likely due to the fact that she has children herself. Her dedication can also be seen through the multiple parts that some of these cases are divided into. For example, the stories of the recent victim that she covered, Anne Marie Fahey, are split into five videos — each video averages about an hour! If this does not show her dedication to giving victims a voice, I don’t know what will. 

1. Crime Weekly

This started out as a podcast as a collaboration between true crime YouTuber, Stephanie Harlow and former police officer and current private investigator Derrick Levasseur. For those who prefer podcasts, fret not, their podcast is still up and running! They made a YouTube version of their podcast as they received feedback that some of their viewers prefer visuals. While they do cover cases that are relatively known in the true crime community, there are two main points that make this channel unique. Firstly, they do really deep dives into the cases and cover even the most minute of details that are important which other channels miss out on. Secondly, Derrick Levasseur uses his law enforcement background to shed some light into the behind the scenes of how police officers handled or should have handled these cases. Despite coming from law enforcement, he is not biased and will call out shoddy and shady police work if he sees fit. To top it off, he also gives advice on how people can protect themselves if they are in the face of danger, which is especially useful. 

1. Gabulosis 

For people who are more interested in vintage and relatively unknown cases, this channel is right up your alley! Her channel focuses on cases, both solved and unsolved, that are 20 years and older. Given that these cases occurred during the 1990s and earlier, the majority of them were new to me. Moreover, her channel features Jane Doe and John Doe cases that more often than not are left out of the true crime YouTube channels. Not only does this bring awareness and potentially seek justice for the victims, she also hopes for their identities to be restored and ultimately, to reunite the victims with their loved ones even after their passing. 

1. Jackie Flores

What started out as a makeup channel soon evolved into a true crime channel. However, what makes Jackie’s  videos stand out from the crowd is that she focuses on crimes against Spanish and Native Americans residing in America. She brings attention to the horrific violence inflicted upon members of these minority groups, and  consequently, she gives voice to a group of people who are already marginalized in their day to day lives and had to also fall victim to crimes.

True crime YouTubers have given a platform and voice for the victims and their families, spreading awareness and hopefully seeking justice. While most people including myself consume such content due to our interest in true crime, it is important to remember that these cases are about real people who have had their lives taken away, and their families’ lives turned upside down.So, do respectfully and mindfully consume such videos. Never leave nasty comments targeting victims and their loved ones who have been tremendously affected.

Lee Ann Foo

Nanyang Tech '22

A Year 4 English Literature and Art History student, Lee Ann relies on black coffee as well as listening to crime podcasts to finish assignments. On a really bad day, she can drink up to 4 cups of iced black coffee.