Book Recommendations For The Blossoming Bookworm

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nanyang Tech chapter.

Exam seasons and vacations are the periods of my life where I engross myself in reading more than usual—as a form of escape, leisure, and if I’m lucky, out of pure joy at finding a book that grips my interest like nothing else. As I’ve told friends before (regarding their hesitance to give anime a watch), “there’s something out there for everybody.” So if you find yourself hoping to pick up a book but don’t know where to start, or if you’ve picked up countless books but ran short of luck with uninteresting plots, here’s a little list of fictional books that I hold close to my heart, for reasons I hope you will soon come to share! 

1. Nothing Ventured

Jeffrey Archer

• Genre: Mystery, Romance
  • Ease of reading: 5/5 (5 being the easiest)

“A story of a detective, not a detective story.” A birthday gift from a friend that turned into my comfort book amidst stressful times in high school, Nothing Ventured explores the life of the protagonist William Warwick, a detective, as well as the lives of those around him and how they intersect. Before you know it, you will find yourself intrigued by the mundane, yet extraordinary, everyday happenings of the everyday people in this saga. I personally read this as a stand-alone book, but it is in fact the first book of the William Warwick series, and also has several connections to the Clifton Chronicle series by the same author, so if you like this one, you know which book to pick up next!

2. The Book Thief 

Markus Zusak

• Genre: historical fiction
  • Ease of reading: 2/5

I found this gem of a book in my sister’s travel bag on a family getaway, and every second afterward in the hotel room was spent with it in my arms. The non-chronological narration is simply beautiful, almost poetic and musical with a whimsical tone that has a charming way of keeping you hooked and taking you on an emotional rollercoaster. A slightly time-consuming read, I distinctly remember this being one of the very few books that had me so emotionally invested that I even shed a few tears with the protagonist, and I needed a few months’ break to recover and reread it. The plot is set in Molching, Germany, in the WWII era and follows the life of Liesel, a little girl who grows to love reading. This was the beginning of my fascination with media exploring the lives of everyday people from the Nazi Era (I’m talking about books like The Diary of Anne Frank, and movies like The Boy in Striped Pyjamas, Charlotte, and In this Corner of the World). Picking up this book has been life-changing, and I have never stopped talking about it. It remains to be one of the most heartfelt books I’ve come to read in my short (but long) 20 years of time on Earth, and it takes the #1 spot in my list of all-time favorite books.

• Also check out: The Magic Strings of Frankie Presto by Mitch Albom

3. Armada 

Ernest Cline

• Genre: Sci-fi
  • Ease of reading: 4/5

Space geeks and gamers, unite! You’re in for a treat. Again, this was handpicked by my sister, among a dozen other books, on our visit to a massive book sale in our hometown (is it obvious yet that she is the reason I love to read?). Well, what’s hers is mine (or so I like to think), and I picked it up from the shelf when she traveled for college before it began to collect dust; what a delightful decision that was. Slick with humor and classic sci-fi elements (throw in space, aliens and videogames), it was pure indulgence, giving me a newfound admiration for the genre and all things sci-fi. The plot effortlessly weaves in clichés but still has you chewing your nails in anticipation at every chapter. This one is a highly enjoyable quick read if you’ve picked up your pace with reading (I devoured Armada in a few days) that might just be your sci-fi nerd awakening.

• Also check out: Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (also a movie), Artemis Fowl series by Eoin Colfer

4. Monday’s Not Coming

Tiffany D. Jackson

• Genre: Thriller, Mystery
  • Ease of reading: 3/5

If you enjoyed movies like Shutter Island or Memento, with stories that tickle your brain, try Monday’s Not Coming. This book starts slow, as we get to know black teen Claudia and her best friend Monday, and soon picks up pace and throws you off guard when you least expect it. Props to NLB Singapore’s instagram page for suggesting this one (among countless others) on one of its posts. Thrilling and heartbreaking, it not only offers a most interesting plot, but also toughs upon topics like poverty, abuse, bullying, mental health, disability and social injustice, making it equally thought-provoking. I read this one amidst exams, and it was a challenge not to put the books aside and immerse myself in learning about these very prevalent social injustices. Give this book a shot and you’re in for a surprise; you’ll find yourself wishing you could forget the book to be able to experience it all over again.

5. Wonder 

R J Palacio

• Genre: Children’s fiction
  • Ease of reading: 5/5

Another comfort book, Wonder is the book equivalent of a warm drink on a cold rainy night. I find the title so very apt, the book itself seems to encase words inspiring wonder—wonder at life and love. Inspired by a real-life incident where the author’s son cried in reaction to seeing a girl with a facial deformity, the story takes us along the life of Auggie, a boy who’s been homeschooled all his life, as he attends middle school for the first time. His joys, struggles and pains serve as a heartfelt reminder to be kind, always. I’m sure anyone who’s read it can agree that this children’s fiction novel is well-suited for a light read for people of all ages. I first watched the movie adaptation of the book before reading the book itself, and I can say with conviction the movie adaptation surprisingly did the book justice (give it a watch too!). Also look out for the sequel books, which explore other POVs from the original story in equally heartfelt stories of their own (Wonder: the Complete Collection has it all in one book, in a sky blue hardback cover— a beautiful addition to your bookshelf). 

If this list doesn’t cover anything that sparks your interest, fret not, seek inspiration you shall find. Try your go-to social media and look up pages that post book lists specific to genres, or even feelings, and head to your nearest library. Singapore’s public libraries offer a diverse range of books, both fiction and non-fiction, that you can browse through online to check for availability – so if you’re ready to commit to reading, opt for a membership! If all goes well, you will find yourself carrying a companion in a book to read everywhere you go, and isn’t that just the most lovely feeling?

Riya Thomas

Nanyang Tech '24

Raised in Dubai, rooted in Thiruvananthapuram, and now in Singapore, Riya (she/her) is a Biological Sciences major with an endless love for Ghibli films, webtoons, messy painting and a cup of cocoa to go with it. She is also a reading enthusiast who will gladly make a reading list with you, hit her up - itz.rzt@gmail.com